FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

PSU

<<

cslonewolf

Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:05 pm

PSU

So by now I'm guessin everyones heard about the PSU sex abuse scandle. It's been all over the local news for the last few days and now it's gone national. I don't know all the details, but from what I am hearing today people are demanding that Joe Patirno step down as the head coach of the PSU football team. It was not Joe who was doing these horrible things to these children. I don't understand why they are calling for his resignation. According to reports when the molestation was brought to Joes attention he did the right thing and brought the accusations to the officials at the school. It was the officials who swept it under the rug and did nothing. I can't speak for Joe I have no idea if this is what went down or not, but it makes sence to me. Joe told the school officials about what he had heard and walked away. Did he think there would be an ivestigation? When the pig who was committing these acts was not fired, did he figure the investigation found that the accusations were false? Like I said I don't know if thats how it went down. I think that this is a shame. I think that it is horrible that Joe's reputation is going to be ruined by this. The man is a legend in collage football, and especially this area.

So anyway I was just wondering what you all think about the whole thing?
"He makes me look thinner" Tony on why he picked Ryan to be his team mate. bet he's gonna enjoy his fair share of Krissie's cookies every weekend lol
SMOKE'N ROCKETS
GO #39 U.S ARMY CHEVROLET
GO RYAN
GO SMOKE,
<<

Lizard

Post Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:38 pm

Re: PSU

I think that issue is that he did not contact the police himself. I do not know if Joe Pa is considered a licensed educator at this point or how the laws in PA are written, but typically you are required to not just tell your supervisor but contact that police. I've gone through this and was told by a principal not to contact police but I wisely defied and contacted the police. Had it been a student at Penn State Joe Pa followed the system set up there but this involved a child not a Penn State student.

Personally I think it is just giving the board of regents what they needed to push Joe Pa out.
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." Tony Stewart

"I`m too lazy to work my real job. I love what I do." Tony Stewart
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:56 am

Penn State Sex Scandal: Joe Paterno to Retire

Legendary coach will step down at the end of the season

By Colleen Curry | ABC News – 2 minutes 22 seconds ago

Legendary coach Joe Paterno said today that he is "absolutely devastated" by the sex abuse scandal that has rocked the school and announced that he will retire at the end of this season.

Paterno's retirement after 46 years is the latest casualty of the Penn State sex abuse scandal.

"I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case," Paterno, 84, said in a statement today. "I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief."

"This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more," he said.

Paterno, who set a record this year as the winningest coach in top level college football ever, said it has been his intention to "serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care."

"That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can," Paterno said.

Paterno's exit will mark one of the biggest losses amid the sex abuse scandal that has shaken the university and seen two of its top officials and a former coach arrested and charged criminally.

Penn State representatives did not have an immediate comment.

Paterno decision was made after he came under intense criticism following allegations of a school cover-up of sexual abuse of children by his longtime assistant coach, Jerry Sandusky. The incidents occurred on campus and were brought to the attention of Paterno and others, according to a grand jury presentment.

"I've lived for this place. I've lived for people like you guys and girls," Paterno said Tuesday night to fans who had gathered outside his home. "It's hard for me to say how much this means.

"As you know, the kids that were the victims. I think we ought to say a prayer for them," he said.

Sandusky was arrested Saturday and charged with molesting eight boys over 15 years, all of whom he met through his charitable organization, The Second Mile, a group home and outreach program for troubled boys.

Also arrested were athletic director Tim Curly and Vice President for Finance Gary Shultz, who are charged with not reporting the sexual abuse to police and lying to a grand jury under oath during the investigation.

The charges stem from a March 2002, incident in which graduate assistant coach Mike McQueary allegedly saw Sandusky sexually assaulting a boy in a locker room shower in the Penn State football department. McQueary told Paterno what he saw, and Paterno in turn told Curly and Shultz. None of the men reported the incident to police.

The Pennsylvania attorney general said Monday that Curly and Shultz were legally required to alert police to the incident, while Paterno was only legally obligated to tell his superiors. But Paterno has come under fire for failing what police called a "moral obligation" to alert themt to the crimes.

Pressure has also increased for university president Graham Spanier to step down for his role in the scandal. Curly and Shultz reported to Spanier that there had been an inappropriate incident with Sandusky and a child in the locker room showers, and that they had taken away Sandusky's privilege of bringing children onto campus. Spanier approved the decision and never reported the Sandusky incident to police.

Sandusky allegedly molested some of the children that he brought to the Penn State campus to meet the team members and work out at the facilities. He also brought them along on trips to away games and plied them with gifts, according to the presentment.

Two earlier sexual assaults on campus had been brought to the attention of employees and administrators, neither of which were reported to the police, according to the attorney general.

Sandusky was a coach and defensive coordinator for the team for 23 years before retiring in 1999. After his retirement, he continued to have unlimited access to the football department and campus, and continued to run football camps for boys at Penn State's campuses.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

*****Countdown to the 2015 Daytona 500*****
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:01 pm

Joe P actually told the head of security of PSU what happened, maybe in his eyes he did contact an authority, no one truly knows what happens, why is PSU trying to keep joe quiet?? Why isnt there an outrage for the assistant coach who seen the child being sexually assaulted and did nothing? He ran home to his daddy who was best friends with this sicko perv...
I miss you Frehley........
<<

Lizard

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:22 pm

michaeljohn wrote:Joe P actually told the head of security of PSU what happened, maybe in his eyes he did contact an authority, no one truly knows what happens, why is PSU trying to keep joe quiet?? Why isnt there an outrage for the assistant coach who seen the child being sexually assaulted and did nothing? He ran home to his daddy who was best friends with this sicko perv...

I keep hoping someone in PA would ask this question.
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." Tony Stewart

<<

PosieFor14

Post Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:30 pm

I live in Central PA and PSU is about 50 miles west of where I am. This whole situation is just disgusting to me and everyone I have spoken to about it. Penn State is HUGE around here, and while I don't really care about the college one way or the other, this is one of the worst scandals ever. I'm not sure whether Joe Pa is guilty of doing anything wrong. He did tell the officials what he was told. He was
not an eye witness, and was passing along second hand information. I think he did what he should have done with that information at the time. The assistant coach who witnessed the shower incident is the one who should have gone to the police. I think that it's a shame that Joe's coaching career will be tarnished by this mess and he is retiring because he pretty much has to.

There is an interesting situation being discussed today in my area about the DA from State College that mysteriously disappeared in 2002 or 2003. They never found him, but his car turned up in my town, Lewisburg, and they found his computer in the river nearby with the hard drive removed and destroyed. There is word that he was actually working on an investigation relating to this child molestation scandal at Penn State at the time he disappeared. If this is actually true and this is connected, this could be a way bigger coverup than what anyone knows about at this point.

I know that school was trying to avoid a scandal back when this happened by keeping it quiet, but the scandal would have been a lot smaller if they had addressed it back then than the mess it is causing now. It also really saddens me about how many more children were molested that could have been protected had they exposed Sandusky back then. :cry:
When you go, do not follow the well worn path, instead make your own path and leave a trail.
<<

Lizard

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:46 am

So they fired Joe Pa but not the guy who actually witnessed the incident has not been fired??

That really makes me wonder what went on behind closed doors. Plus they keep saying that they cannot comment because they are just investigating, Sandusky has been investigated for 18 months.

<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:47 pm

PSU couldnt even come up with a legit excuse. Paterno got railroaded last nite, he is made to be the fall guy for this.
<<

ndunn

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:03 pm

I don't worry about any of this except for the life time scar those children have to live with. The men knew what was going on but the boys were the ones abused. It's something that never goes away or is healed.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Lizard

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:38 pm

I feel for the victims, but I think they are making Joe Pa the scapegoat. The guy who witnessed is still employed and coaching and one of the guys who has been indicted has not been fired.

<<

im4tony

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:13 pm

Seems to me the guy who witnessed it is as sick as the perpetrator and should of reported it immediately to the police and his supervisors. end of story. And if Joe after reporting it knew no one reported it to police, well then, shame on him too.
"This is my house" Tony at the Glen
<<

cslonewolf

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:47 pm

This whole thing sickens me, I am not sure why. I am neither a Penn State fan nor a Joe Pa fan, yet I am very ticked off by the way this whole thing went down. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have heard Sandusky's name mentioned through all this. Meanwhile JoePa is getting ripped by every news market in the country. They took the man w/ the bigger name and brutelized him, villafied him, and drug his name through the mud. Joe Pa did not molest these kids it was Sandusky who did, why is it JoePa who is being disgraced. Then the school that Joe dedicated his life to, the school that Joe dedicated millions of dollars to, just up and fires him. They didn't even feel the need to call him into the meeting, they called him up and fired him over the #### phone. The whole reason is because "Joe did not do the moral thing", where was the morality in fireing him over the phone?

Then there is the guy who actually witnessed a ten year old lil boy being raped in the shower. All he did was run to his daddy, yet he remains on Penn States payroll, and will be on the sidelines at Saterday's game. He had first hand knowlege of what was going on, where JoePa only had second hand knowledge. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is not second hand knowledge usually considered hearsay in a court of law? Just sayin. I heard a news guy on HLN say last night that the guy who witnessed the shower rape was only a young kid himself like 21 22 years old, he probably couldn't believe what he was seeing, so it's not his fault. He gets a free pass for not doing anything I guess because of his age

In my opinion JoePa is the only person in this whole f%^ked up mess that did do the right thing. Yes there is more that he could have done morally, but he did do what was required of him by law. It was the officials in charge of the school who did nothing, who swept it under the rug.

I asked my friends on facebook yesterday, that if I saw a house on fire, called 911, then went about my day would i be considered a murderer if the people in the house died in the blaze. Every single one of my friends who replied said it would not have been my fault. None of them realized I was asking as part of a Penn State debate. I reminded them that morally I could have done more, I could have gone into the house and pulled the people out. They still agreed their deaths would not be my fault. So Why Then is Joe being crucified for his actions? Weather or not you agree w/ what he did at least he did something.

It is my opinion that the school is using JoePa as their scapegoat here. The way they cancelled his press conference on Tuesday, and the way they fired him w/out giving him a chance to speak for himself.

I think sadly JoePa will suffer the same fate as Charles Shultz. I think he will be dead w/in the next 30 days. Like Shultz dedicated who his life to the Peanuts, Joe dedicated his life to Penn State. Days after his last Peanuts comic was published Shultz was dead, and I think not being on the sidelines at a Penn State game will have the same effect on Joe. He dedicated his life to that team, and w/out the team in his life he will find no reason to continue living
"He makes me look thinner" Tony on why he picked Ryan to be his team mate. bet he's gonna enjoy his fair share of Krissie's cookies every weekend lol
SMOKE'N ROCKETS
GO #39 U.S ARMY CHEVROLET
GO RYAN
GO SMOKE,
<<

jamo14

Post Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:15 am

CSLonewolf said:
"I heard a news guy on HLN say last night that the guy who witnessed the shower rape was only a young kid himself like 21 22 years old, he probably couldn't believe what he was seeing, so it's not his fault. He gets a free pass for not doing anything I guess because of his age "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The assistant coach was actually 28 at the time, not 21 like the guy from HLN said.....
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

Lizard

Post Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:22 pm

That is what disgusts me is that Mike McQueary is seeming to get a pass because he was a grad-assistant and just a kid. He was 28 years old and saw a young boy, and his own words being raped and yet he walked away(ran away). He did nothing to stop it and did not go to the police. I can only hope that he has to face that particular victim face to face and look him in the eye and explain why he did nothing to stop things.

I hear more people saying how he was young himself and was seeing his mentor, one of his idols doing this and probably did not know how to process etc. He was 28 years old and put his own needs before that of the innocent victim he saw being raped. But instead of the outcries towards him, Joe Pa is being villainized for how he handled second hand information. But the one with first hand gets a pass. They have pulled him from this weekends game because of fears for his safety. Too bad he did not have a fear for the safety of Sandusky's victims 9 years ago.

<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:02 pm

McQueary is on administration leave, finally he gets some form of punishment, next to sandusky, McQueary is the most guilty of a person.......
Next

Return to The Lobby