FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Sponsorship - Lowe's and Jimmie Johnson

<<

beaverpond

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:39 pm

Sponsorship - Lowe's and Jimmie Johnson

I am just wondering if Jimmie Johnson is in any danger of losing any portion of sponsorship he has with Lowe's.

I mention this because on Sunday, Lowe's closed more than 20 locations nationwide which resulted in having to lay off more than 2000 employees. They have also announced that the stores that were due to be built are now all being put on hold and being re-evaluated to see if the stores can really sustain themselves in the longterm. These new construction projects were due to be built in 2012 and are now being pushed back to 2013, if they are ever built at all.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

jamo14

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:06 pm

Re: Sponsorship - Lowe's and Jimmie Johnson

doubt it, but if they do, it wouldn't take long to sponsor a five-in-a-row champion (most likely 6-in-a-row)
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:17 pm

as of today he has 3 years left on the deal, he brings in a lot of money through merch, so this could be one reason lowes sticks around, to make a few bucks...
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:33 am

If a sponsor is hurting financially and is heading to go belly up. Are you going to make them stick to a contract? I sure would hope not.

I'm just looking at the human side of this...you look at the amount of money Lowe's dumps into NASCAR and the number of people they just put on the street...How many NASCAR fans are going to say, you could have made cuts to both (the closing of stores and the reduction in sponsorship).

I have a friend who works for one of these stores that just closed and they are keeping him on until the middle of December to help disasemble the store. By law an employer with more than 100 employees has to keep them on for 60 days and in Maine they must pay a severance package for any employee who has worked there more than three years. None of the stores in Maine being closed has been open more than 5 years.

Anyway, some of the NASCAR fans I spoken to in the area I live in that hang out at this certain restauarant on race day feel that Lowe's should have cut sponsorship before closing stores.
Image Image

<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:39 am

well that is up to them, as far as we know, they could have cut back as sponsor, which they have this year as kobolt has taken over as primary sponsor at 15 races, one could say that the army and national guard shouldnt sponsor cars with the state of our government is in.
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:59 am

After a little bit of research I pulled out this one paragraph and to keep it short and sweet.

"Kobalt is a line of tools owned and operated by the American home improvement chain Lowe's as their house brand. Since 2003, Kobalt hand tools have largely been made by the Danaher Corporation for Lowe’s."

So even when Kobalt is sponsoring the race, it is still Lowe’s. Just like when it used to be the Sears Craftsman Truck Series Race or every now and then we will see Husky on the Home Depot vehicles, whether it be the cars or trucks…Husky is still Home Depot just like Kobalt is still Lowe’s.
Image Image

<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:46 am

what ya want me to say? im not going to condemn lowes for sponsoring a car and people losing their job, as i stated earlier they get a large reuturn in merch sales and licensing fees, so they may not put out too much money, maybe everyone should be up in arms that mobil one is a sponsor for tony, when they are connected to exxon.
<<

smoke14rulez

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:07 am

The thing you have to remember is...no matter how bad they're doin'(unless they're LITERALLY goin' bankrupt, and I'm sure they're far from that) they still have to advertise and still have an advertising budget to spend as they see fit. And, let's face it, these cars are(essentially) "200 mph billboards." As long as they feel they're getting the proper exposure for their advertising dollar, there isn't any issue.
Image Image
...is that a breadstick or are you just happy to see me?
<<

jamo14

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:34 am

my #14 & 39 hats were made in China.....along with all other NASCAR apparel........
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

ndunn

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:33 am

I'm sure all the sponsors at one time or other have had to make sure what they do is in their best interest. Big corporations are not in the habit of losing money if they don't half to. The public isn't privy to how they structure their bugets. One company in particular was Office Depot. They were in financial trouble when they took on sponsorship of Tony. Apparently they thought the exposure of all Tony could do for them was worth it. And so far it looks like things paid off. They were sponsors for Carl Edwards but according to the story I read Roush wanted more money than they could afford and they really wanted Tony. When they offered a contract to Tony he offered to do the Office Depot meet and greets like he did for Home Depot. They didn't expect this as it wasn't in their contract. All of this information was released online when Tony announced he going to be a partner with Gene Haas for what is now SHR. Of course it is a shame when people have to be laid off and it hurts big time. I live where General Motors cut thousands of jobs right here in Lansing. Fisher Body was part of the buildings torn down and now the property is empty and the parking lots are growing weeds where employee used to park and they where the haulers used to park before they left the city. We are just like every other city, town. or village that had jobs for the public. They are gone!
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.

Return to The Lobby