FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

'Redneck Olympics' Told To Drop the word 'Olympics'

<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:33 am

'Redneck Olympics' Told To Drop the word 'Olympics'

HEBRON, Maine -- The U.S. Olympic Committee has asked a Maine man to not use the term "Redneck Olympics" ever again.
Harold Brooks was the organizer for the weekend event in Hebron.
Brooks says he received a telephone call Monday from an official at the USOC warning him to change the name of his event or face a lawsuit.
News 8 had a conversation Wednesday afternoon with the spokesman for the USOC. Mark Jones says that Congress granted the USOC the exclusive rights to the words Olympics and Olympiad as well as the Olympic theme and the 5-rings logo in 1978 because the committee is the only Olympic committee in the world that is not government-funded.
"Our sponsors and licensees pay a great deal of money to associate with the Olympic movement. It's not so we make money. It's to fund Team USA. Money raised by the granting of licensing rights to the world Olympics covers the costs of training and living expenses for Olympic athlete," Jones says.
Brooks says he was told the word "Olympics" is the property of the USOC. He says the word has been around for 8,000 years and he's referring to the old word.

I know there are three youth programs that use the term Olympics and have been for close to 30 years and nobody has said boo and then there is another organization that has been using the term Olympics for as long as I can remember and again the USOC has not said a thing. So why the big hub bub now? I have found three more just doing more research sitting here that use the word Olympics and I also found the International Olympic Committee website was only copyrighted in 2009, yet they have pictures of past and upcoming events and that the USOC website was copyrighted in 2011.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

smokieonefour

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: 'Redneck Olympics' Told To Drop the word 'Olympics'

Hmmmm.... I'm wondering just what kind of events they have at Redneck Olympics.

Instead of javelin throws.... they can have beer can chucks

Instead of shot put... they can have shot tosses ( down the throat )

Instead of gymnastics.... they can have a family game of Twister

Instead of swimming.... someone yells "Free Beer on shore!" to the people in the water

Instead of track.... someone yells "The cops are comin'! Everyone run!"

Anyone else? Any others ? hee hee hee

I think I'm going to start saying Olympic and Olympiad every chance I get. :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:30 pm

I got this from another news source having to do with the same Redneck Olympics.

"Last weekend's redneck games in Hebron included bobbing for pigs' feet, toilet-seat horseshoes, lawn mower races, a mud run and pie-eating contest."
Image Image

<<

ndunn

Post Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:21 pm

The Olympic Comm. has alot of gall after all the cheating judges they had for years. But then it only matters 'WHO YOU ARE".
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

beaverpond

Post Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:27 am

Redneck Olympics organizer ready to face U.S. Olympic Committee

The Redneck Olympics were already bigger than most expected by Sunday, when figures showed that about 2,600 people had attended the weekend festival.
Attention from the United States Olympic Committee has kept organizer Harold Brooks in the spotlight.
Brooks has been contacted by lawyers and journalists from around the world. Fox News and even the Times of London have contacted him in recent days over his defiance of the United States Olympic Committee.
Image Image

Return to The Lobby