FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Some will enjoy this ... YP Raises money for Northern Africa

<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:54 am

Some will enjoy this ... YP Raises money for Northern Africa

PIE THE COMMANDER CONTEST...guess who the Commander is

I know some of you will enjoy this and will just love to see the pictures when this is done. At the beginning of January I challenged the kids in our Youth Program to pass as many sections in their handbooks as they could and they also had to raise at least $175 for kids in Northern Africa who are part of the same organization we are.

The kids passed the $175 last week and there is still one week left in the fundraising effort. I have heard from several of them and I am thinking we might reach $250 and this is the first year we have done this. As for the kids working in their handbooks, it is going to be close as I had said to them that I was going to take only the top one in grades K-2 and this group was at a tie for first last week, the top two in grades 3-4 which currently had a three way tie, and the top two in grades 5-6 which also had a three way tie.

Now with any that are at a tie, I am not going to do tie breakers as these kids worked very hard in this and I am going to let all those who qualified are going to be allowed to pie me in the face.

The local newspaper even wants in on it to write an article and publish photos of this event. I know the owner of the paper. He has told me he would not miss this for anything in the world. He has said anytime a community leader is willing to take it in the face, literally, this is worth publishing.

Since he found out about this, word has been spreading around the communities about what we are doing and more and more people want to get involved by either offering support financial or for supplies. Normally, I would say no to financial support, but I am just going to add it to kids fundraising efforts for Northern Africa.

I just wanted to share this with you. I know it is not NASCAR related, but sometimes a little break from some of what goes on in our daily lives is not a bad thing. Like I said, I will share the pictures on here when this takes place. Lilbeaver is one of those in the lead. She is very insistent on being able to pie me in the face and not getting in trouble for it, she would not miss this for the world. :mrgreen: Our paper is a weekly one and the pie smashing is going to be on March 6th.

In Honor of my nephew serving our country in the 787th MP Unit out of FT Leonard Wood
<<

jdpirate

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:07 am

Re: Some will enjoy this ... YP Raises money for Northern Af

So very good of you to "take it in the face" to help out a worthy cause! So that's 8 pies possibly?
I hope that they'll be pies you like :lol:
I'm Living my life the way I want to..... Tony Stewart
Never Quit..... Marcus Luttrell Lone Survivor
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:18 am

It very well could be. It sounds like a lot of whip cream on a plate because when others have done this in the past, they have found that the aluminum pie plates can injure somebody.

In Honor of my nephew serving our country in the 787th MP Unit out of FT Leonard Wood
<<

jdpirate

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:33 am

beaverpond wrote:It very well could be. It sounds like a lot of whip cream on a plate because when others have done this in the past, they have found that the aluminum pie plates can injure somebody.

Ah, yes, most do just the whipped cream....still, that's a lot :o Good luck to all!
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:47 am

I look at my leaders and they all look at me and say that there is no way they would ever do this. Before finding out who and all the details, they wanted to know who the idiot was dumb enough to be willing to do this...I just stood there for a second and thought before responding. I then said, it takes a special kind of idiot, one like me.

Our Pastor was standing there and he just stood there and loved the way I handled it. I did not get upset, I did not blow up, I did not say I was going to ask them...we even have a couple of teen leaders who want to get involved in taking the pies in the face next year.

<<

jdpirate

Post Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:21 pm

beaverpond wrote:I look at my leaders and they all look at me and say that there is no way they would ever do this. Before finding out who and all the details, they wanted to know who the idiot was dumb enough to be willing to do this...I just stood there for a second and thought before responding. I then said, it takes a special kind of idiot, one like me.

Our Pastor was standing there and he just stood there and loved the way I handled it. I did not get upset, I did not blow up, I did not say I was going to ask them...we even have a couple of teen leaders who want to get involved in taking the pies in the face next year.

The best way to lead.... do exactly what you could be asking others to do!
<<

14Smokem

Post Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:37 am

Very cool Beaver. This kind of thing is good in several ways.
Great idea, and you can bet those kids will NEVER forget this.
Excellent start to an ongoing "Tradition"
1994 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Sprint Car Champion ** 1995 USAC Silver Crown Champion
1997 Indy Car Champion ** 2006 IROC Champion ** 2002 NASCAR Champion ** 2005 NASCAR Champion ** 2011 NASCAR Champion
<<

beaverpond

Post Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:45 pm

Well, the kid who was ahead at the grade level of K-2 lost his lead this week and we have new leader and a winner.

For the grade level of 3-4, it was Lilbeaver and one other 4th grader who was hot on her heals up until this week when Lilbeaver walked away with it, but both were winners as it was the top two.

For the grade level of 5-6, there were three winners as there was a tie for second place and one winner for first place. The tie for second place are twins.

So, I am going to get pied six times next week.

The final numbers are in for what the kids raised, I was guessing around $250, but it was actually $226 and I am rounding it up to $230 because it is $10 for each child we help in Northern Africa. I am really proud of all the work our kids did.

Return to The Lobby