FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

For the parents of teens and pre-teens ...

<<

MtnArch

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:01 am

For the parents of teens and pre-teens ...

Our son, Mitch, is a part of another senior student's project of "Every 15 Minutes" (a national project that highlights the consequences of drinking and driving). Part of what we (as the parents of one of the participants) are supposed to do is write a letter to our child after we are told our child has been killed by a drunk driver. I just finished my letter to him, and it's the hardest thing I've ever had to do. For us it's only an "imaginary" letter - I cannot imagine what those parents who have to face this as a reality have to endure every day of their lives. PLEASE discuss the issues that your teenage (and pre-teen) kids face now and in the future with not only their choices but their FRIENDS choices (to drink and drive) - no matter how hard it is for you or for them.
Alan
"MtnArch"
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:17 pm

Re: For the parents of teens and pre-teens ...

Last year our parents had to do something similar with texting and driving because the previous year three of our teens were killed while texting and driving on their way home right after school.

We have since put up signs in school parking lot reminding students and staff that it is against the law to text and drive and to turn off electronic devices while driving. I was on the school board when these signs were purchased.

No texting.gif
No texting.gif (37.29 KiB) Viewed 139 times

In Honor of my nephew serving our country out of Baumholder Army Base in Germany.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:09 pm

Wow! What a powerful idea! :-)

The kids should have to write an "I'm Sorry" letter from Heaven, too. ;-)
That might also get their attention.

Thanks for sharing. :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:16 pm

MtnArch wrote:Our son, Mitch, is a part of another senior student's project of "Every 15 Minutes" (a national project that highlights the consequences of drinking and driving). Part of what we (as the parents of one of the participants) are supposed to do is write a letter to our child after we are told our child has been killed by a drunk driver. I just finished my letter to him, and it's the hardest thing I've ever had to do. For us it's only an "imaginary" letter - I cannot imagine what those parents who have to face this as a reality have to endure every day of their lives. PLEASE discuss the issues that your teenage (and pre-teen) kids face now and in the future with not only their choices but their FRIENDS choices (to drink and drive) - no matter how hard it is for you or for them.

I am tearing up right now just thinking about the impact this letter would have and what I would say..and in reality whether you have kids who are even older, that is such a great idea.... It is such a powerful message..... I can still hear my Dad talking to me...this is so much more..thanks for posting....
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
I # Support Smoke
<<

MtnArch

Post Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:20 am

All - I'm not sure how it affected my son (I mentioned it this morning to him when I was dropping him off at school how much it affected me to write it to him) since he didn't respond one way or another, but at least he knows how hard it was for me to write it. If that breaks just a little bit into his "armor" it was worth all of the heartache and tears I endured writing it!

I sat down with my parents when I was 25 and apologized to them for how I treated them when I was younger, and how I **now** understood why they acted the way that they had when I was younger. I'm looking forward to the day my kids do the same thing!
Alan
"MtnArch"
<<

Annalee

Post Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:49 am

Isn't it amazing...the older you get, the smarter your parents were........I guess they call it growing up...it's a process we all must go thru..
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
I # Support Smoke
<<

beaverpond

Post Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:54 am

Oh I will never tell them that, because that means they win and we don't want them knowing they won...sure they can think they won, but I am not about to give them the satisfaction of telling them that

In Honor of my nephew serving our country out of Baumholder Army Base in Germany.

Return to The Lobby