Whatever goes... remember, this is a family forum
Post a reply

Memorial Day

Wed May 25, 2011 11:15 am

Being a former U.S. Army soldier. I thought I would post this in Honor of this day of remembrance and respect. Please remember, NOTHING is ever free in America. If you receive anything from our government/state...it was not free! Someone else had to pay for that! The same goes with your freedom is never free.....someone had to pay with their lives!

Do you have any veterans in your family past/present? Feel free to list their names!

memorial-day-motivational-poster.

Re: Memorial Day

Thu May 26, 2011 12:50 pm

My Dad was in the ARMY. He got 2 Purple Hearts. Very proud of my DAD.God Rest His Soul.

Re: Memorial Day

Thu May 26, 2011 2:50 pm

My younger brother spent two tours in VietNam. He was fortunate to come home. The entire family is greatful for the freedom he served for.....My husband spent 3 years in the Navy and several years in the reserves.....Even tho his duty wasn't on foreign soil we are still proud of what he did.......

Re: Memorial Day

Thu May 26, 2011 3:50 pm

My brother-in-law was in Vietnam. He still talks about the country and the reception they got when they came home.

Re: Memorial Day

Sat May 28, 2011 1:12 am

Being an Air FORCE VETERAN God bless all our men and women who gave there lives to give us freedom and all the veterans

Re: Memorial Day

Sat May 28, 2011 6:43 am

duffygoofy wrote:My Dad was in the ARMY. He got 2 Purple Hearts. Very proud of my DAD.God Rest His Soul.
Sorry to hear of your fathers passing duffygoofy.

Any man/woman who served this great nation should be honored.

Re: Memorial Day

Sat May 28, 2011 6:57 am

ndunn wrote:My younger brother spent two tours in VietNam. He was fortunate to come home. The entire family is greatful for the freedom he served for.....My husband spent 3 years in the Navy and several years in the reserves.....Even tho his duty wasn't on foreign soil we are still proud of what he did.......
Those of us who served have trivial jokes amongst each of the armed forces. One armed forces may have been much easier than the other. I have often poked jokes at the Air Force because if you didn't fly or work on the planes. You had a desk job as support!

I never saw combat myself. There are millions who never saw combat. I'm sure there may be a little animosity between those who saw combat and those who didn't? A veteran is a veteran in my eyes. We all do what ever we are told. It's a six-year obligation so if your lucky enough to stay state side the entire time. That's just the way it goes!

It is hard going to your local VA and seeing the real human damage that has been done to those who got injured in combat. I have to say it does make me feel less of a soldier knowing I stayed state side my entire three years of active service. But, like I said earlier. That's just the way it goes!

Re: Memorial Day

Sat May 28, 2011 7:06 am

im4tony wrote:My brother-in-law was in Vietnam. He still talks about the country and the reception they got when they came home.
Anyone who has been in combat knows how tough it is coming back home with emotional/physical scars. Like I have said, I did not go over seas and I never saw any combat.

I realize "Memorial Day" is mainly to honor the men/woman who have died while serving this great nation. "Veterans Day" is to honor all living/diseased veterans. A bit confusing.

I thank your brother in-law for his dedicated service!

Re: Memorial Day

Sat May 28, 2011 7:17 am

ADDED NOTE:I just wanted to say to the younger folks out there...............

I realize America isn't perfect. We are in a time that there is so much opinion/information floating around on TV,computers,news papers,radio. All the negative commentary about our politicians Republican/Democrat and other parties. All the government corruption makes us all a little depressed about this great nation. The economy and current ongoing wars aren't helping either.

No matter how bad things may be presented to you. Don't give up on America ever! I still wouldn't want to live any place else but here in the good old USA! :)
Last edited by chevy39fan on Sat May 28, 2011 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Memorial Day

Sat May 28, 2011 8:09 am

GOD BLESS THE USA & ALL OUR TROOPS!!

Re: Memorial Day

Sat May 28, 2011 11:25 am

chevy39fan wrote:
ndunn wrote:My younger brother spent two tours in VietNam. He was fortunate to come home. The entire family is greatful for the freedom he served for.....My husband spent 3 years in the Navy and several years in the reserves.....Even tho his duty wasn't on foreign soil we are still proud of what he did.......
Those of us who served have trivial jokes amongst each of the armed forces. One armed forces may have been much easier than the other. I have often poked jokes at the Air Force because if you didn't fly or work on the planes. You had a desk job as support!

I never saw combat myself. There are millions who never saw combat. I'm sure there may be a little animosity between those who saw combat and those who didn't? A veteran is a veteran in my eyes. We all do what ever we are told. It's a six-year obligation so if your lucky enough to stay state side the entire time. That's just the way it goes!

It is hard going to your local VA and seeing the real human damage that has been done to those who got injured in combat. I have to say it does make me feel less of a soldier knowing I stayed state side my entire three years of active service. But, like I said earlier. That's just the way it goes!

I liked what you had to say. Not everyone had a choice where they were going to serve. My brother was Air Force and had a chance to teach Radar in Biloxie,Miss. But he didn't like Miss. So he was sent to a Navy base in Nev. From Nevada he served two tours in Viet Nam. He never was injured but came home with scars. His body was covered with scars from not being able to bathe and of course what he was involved in never goes away. My husband wanted to go to sea but the Navy thought differently. He was schooled as a Legal Yeoman and spent his duty 70 miles from home. He never was happy about not leaving his home state but his tour never was dull. Memorial Day has always been special for our family. Have a safe and special weekend.

Re: Memorial Day

Sat May 28, 2011 3:45 pm

A Special Memorial Thanks to All Our Service Men and Women. May God Bless Those who gave their lives, all those who served our country, and all those who still serve today. [/album]

Re: Memorial Day

Sat May 28, 2011 9:30 pm

Thanks to all the men and women in uniform past and present for all they do so we can live in this great country. No matter how the serve here or abroad . Thank you to all the families, who go so many holidays and sacrifice so much for this country. No words can ever express the gratitude I feel just to be able to live know I live in the greatest country in the world.

Re: Memorial Day

Sat May 28, 2011 10:59 pm

In my family we had 2 Army and 3 Navy. 3 were in WWII, 1 Vietnam and 1 Desert Storm.

I have had the privelege of knowing a fair number of Service Men & Women in my life. They are truely Heroes in my book.
Post a reply