FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Sonoma 2015

<<

MtnArch

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:23 am

Sonoma 2015

I've been a Nascar fan since the mid 1970's and attended my first Nascar race in 1995 in Sonoma with my (then fiance, now) wife. We haven't attended a race since then but think this might be the best time for my wife and I to celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary! Does anyone have any suggestions for how to enjoy/who to contact/how to meet Kurt? Thanks for any suggestions!
Alan
"MtnArch"
<<

onerockindoc

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:51 pm

Re: Sonoma 2015

Hi Alan....another member here asked me to comment to you as I've been fortunate enough to spend some time in the garage area at multiple tracks.

First, you should check with Kurt's fan club or fan page on Facebook or with his foundation to see if he will make any appearances at an off site location. If not you may have to get a wristband at his souvenir hauler if he is signing there.

I've had the pleasure of meeting him at Richmond and found him accommodating and charming with his fans. I hope you get a chance to meet him.
I strive to live by the Golden Rule, do you?
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:51 pm

thanks doc for replying, i knew you would have some good answer that might help, its a nice change of pace for the site, instead of "look at me." i know more than anyone."
I miss you Frehley........
<<

MtnArch

Post Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:38 am

Thanks for the advice - I'll check those out!
Alan
"MtnArch"
<<

MtnArch

Post Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:25 pm

I've reached out to Kurt (his "peeps") on Facebook about next year - we'll see what happens! Thanks again, guys, for your advice and responses! Although we may not hear from Kurt or his publicists, I can't imagine that they **DON'T** monitor our threads here!

Even if I don't hear from (or get to meet) Kurt my allegiance is still there - he's a GREAT driver, has become an an AMAZING spokesperson for NASCAR, the Armed Forces Foundation, and (since I'm a step-father of 2 for 19 years as well) an inspiration for others to love and nurture (unconditionally) children that aren't yours biologically but are yours **by choice**.

I was adopted by a **wonderful** couple when I was a day old and have never felt any less than their own since I can remember. I'm proud to call them my Mom (now deceased) and Dad - and will forever be their son. My birth mom gave me the opportunity to become whatever I wanted to be by giving me up for adoption, and my (adoptive) parents gave me the opportunity to be ME. **ALL** of them gave me the chance to do my best - and it was up to me to honor their sacrifices to BECOME all that I could achieve! I'm not the most successful, not the richest monetarily, but I'm blessed beyond what I could imagine to be who I am, where I come from, and what I can impart to **MY** kids because of their love.

(Guess I got a little off-topic there ... hope you all don't mind!)
Alan
"MtnArch"
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:14 pm

Alan, thanks for sharing your story. You are indeed a lucky man. Some may say it is difficult to make friends or really get to know folks on a website such as this I am living proof.

I've developed many friendships here and there are a few of us that have met at races going on a couple of years now. We choose a different track each time and truly enjoy each other. This October we are meeting in Kansas!

I hope your experience of meeting Kurt exceeds your expectations.

This whole site seems to go off topic...have at it. Enjoy your time interacting with other Kurt fans but always be open to meeting fans of other drivers as well. I can't tell you how many nice folks I've met at races. I've got tons of stories!!
<<

Rochelle

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:21 am

What a great attitude and story, MtnArch, thank you for sharing. Welcome to the family here and while we can be dysfunctional, we are still part of the SHR Family! :mrgreen:
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:41 pm

great story....... i have to admit i was never a big kurt fan especially cuz he and JJ had run in, but he defiantly changed a lot this last year and im glad cuz he is a talented driver...
I miss you Frehley........
<<

MtnArch

Post Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:29 pm

Okay ... starting to plan for next year!

The last (only) time we went was a package deal from SaveMart (the California grocery store chain that sponsors/co-sponsors the race) where we caught a bus in San Jose at O-dark Early, received a "sack lunch" and a seat in Turn 9 Terrace (I think?), and the return to San Jose on the bus. On the bus on the way there was a kid (9-ish?) and his grandparents, and what I remember the most was how much he could quote about his favorite driver's stats (I'm guessing Dale Sr., but I don't remember who it was). I'm a VERY poor fan compared to that young man!

I'm considering staying north of the raceway at a TimeShare that we own and driving down for qualifying (LOVE the new format!) as well as the race, but I'm also looking at a package that Raceway Hospitality has (HOLY SMOKES (no, not Tony!) - the PRICE!!!!). The RH package is attractive for not having to deal with parking and includes a pre-race Pit Road pass, but anything above that is extra (like Driver Intro (is it worth it?), a "Checkered Flag Club" that includes a driver "Meet-N-Greet" (but WHICH driver - or driverS?), FanVision or Scanner rentals). Does anyone have any insights from past experiences (whether at Sonoma or not)?

I'm guessing that the scanner rentals would be a MUST, but is the FanVision worth the upgrade price?

For such an "oldie" I sure sound like a "Newby"! Thanks for any advice everyone!
Alan
"MtnArch"
<<

onerockindoc

Post Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:16 pm

If go scanner only.

I hope you have a great time. I can tell how excited you are to go.
<<

MtnArch

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:01 am

Me?!?! Excited?!?! I thought it was just the caffeine! ;)

Thanks for the recommendation Doc!
Alan
"MtnArch"
<<

azk8ster

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:45 am

I'd go with the FanVision, especially on a road course. great for replays, and you can still catch radio traffic (drivers, officials, MRN/PRN)...unless they've changed things, I'll admit it's been about three years since I've rented one.
"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to"
<<

Anyone But Earnhardt

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:47 am

Nascar has am app you can download on smart phones. (NASCAR Mobile) I listen to the in car radio's from my recliner. Sprint offers it for free, but I'm sure it can be downloaded on any plan. Just make sure you have a great set of head phones at the track because they are loud. Just a cost saving idea.

Return to Kurt Busch