FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

NASCAR Rumors: Harvick to replace Kahne

<<

Lady NASCAR

Post Tue May 17, 2016 12:14 am

NASCAR Rumors: Harvick to replace Kahne

RUMOR: Kevin Harvick is mulling an offer to leave Stewart-Haas Racing after this season and move to Hendrick Motorsports in a deal that would keep him with Chevrolet and insert him into Kasey Kahne’s No. 5 car.

REPORTED BY: Tom Bowles, Frontstretch.com

THE DETAILS: Harvick is a Chevy man, having driven one in NASCAR's Sprint Cup competition his entire career. But Stewart-Haas Racing is moving to Ford in 2017 and could suffer some transition pains next season. Harvick has shot down rumors all season that he wants to leave Stewart-Haas but Bowles says the mulling of a switch isn’t new to NASCAR insiders despite being denied by both sides.
SINCE 2014: It's no secret Kahne has struggled over the past two seasons despite the successful nature of Hendrick Motorsports. Since the start of the 2014 season, Kahne has just one win to go along with 25 top 10s in 84 races and an average driver rating over 100 at just one (Indianapolis) of the 23 tracks on the circuit. Harvick, on the other hand, owns nine wins since 2014 with 57 top 10s and an average driver rating over 100 at every track except Talladega and Daytona. Since the start of the 2014 season to date, Harvick has led 5,119 laps to Kanhe's 284 (zero this season).
OUR TAKE: If Harvick does make the shift, it would mean Kahne, who is under contract at Hendrick until 2018, would be looking at a possible buyout situation. Harvick is under contract with Stewart-Haas through the 2016 season with an option for the 2017 season. Harvick's move to Hendrick would be a win-win for both sides as the team needs a difference maker to challenge the recent dominance of Joe Gibbs Racing. The downside for Harvick would be the parting ways with crew chief Rodney Childers, who has been with the No. 4 team since Harvick's championship season.

Harvick's move to Hendrick would also initiate what is expected to be a a busy offseason of driver swaps as Clint Bowyer joins the No. 14 Stewart-Haas Racing car and no extension has been announced for Ryan Newman in the No. 31 Richard Childress Racing car. Newman’s teammate Paul Menard will also be a free agent after this season.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue May 17, 2016 9:36 am

Re: NASCAR Rumors: Harvick to replace Kahne

thats been the rumor since SHR made the announcement to switch, i wouldnt be surprised if it happens
I miss you Frehley........
<<

bowtie_4

Post Tue May 17, 2016 10:57 am

Kevin tweeted, when asked about this, his answer, " just people trying to start some ####"
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue May 17, 2016 11:31 am

I don't believe this rumor for a minute.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#SmokeHasRisen
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue May 17, 2016 11:44 am

if it is remotely true, what do you expect kevin to say? " oh im disgusted by fords, can not wait to join HMS." of course he will deny it, just a interesting topic and something to talk about for the summer
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue May 17, 2016 11:50 am

The "Silly Season" is starting early this year.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

#SmokeHasRisen
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue May 17, 2016 12:18 pm

NASCAR: Denial Is The Only Option For Harvick Right Now

by Christopher Olmstead 51 minutes ago

The rumors that 2014 NASCAR champion Kevin Harvick is looking to leave SHR next season have started once again. Once again Harvick is denying those rumors but in all honesty, denial is his only real option in this situation.

Earlier this season SHR announced they would be ending their relationship with Chevy at the end of the 2016 NASCAR season and joining Ford in 2017. In the days following the announcement there were rumors that Harvick was not happy with the move to Ford. Those rumors never went away and eventually turned into some believing that Harvick might be actively looking for a way to stay in a Chevy in 2017.

When it comes to rumors it’s often a situation of where there is smoke, there is fire. Harvick is not the only driver at SHR, yet months after the announcement he is the only driver to be linked to potentially not wanting to move with the team to Ford.

The Harvick talk died down over the past few weeks but it was kicked up again this week when Frontstretch.com published a piece about Harvick and Hendrick Motorsports. According to the article, HMS has made an offer for Harvick to join them and take over the No. 5 machine in 2017. The article goes onto state that Harvick is currently mulling the offer over.

Monday night Kevin Harvick was asked about the rumor with HMS on Twitter. Harvick was quick to put a firm answer out there for all of the NASCAR world to see.

"Bunch of people who make sh*t up...."

This response has turned into the rallying cry for those who don’t want Harvick to leave SHR and join HMS (or any other team) in 2017. This tweet also comes on the heels of Harvick saying earlier in the season that he can’t see himself not in a Ford or with SHR in 2017. Harvick has had no issue denying these rumors but the truth is, that’s really the only option that he has right now.

Harvick has an option for the 2017 season with SHR built into his contract. This means that Harvick can opt-in and remain with the team for the 2017 season (which would be the last year of his current deal) or he can opt-out and become a free agent. This alone makes Harvick’s situation interesting because at the end of the day he truly has all of the cards in his hands.

While Harvick holds the power, he also isn’t stupid. The 2016 NASCAR season is 12 races old. Let’s say Harvick did get an offer from HMS. Let’s say Harvick is considering it but is still leaning towards returning to SHR in 2017. Heck, even if he was leaning in the other direction, talking about it is not the right thing to do. The only thing Harvick can do is deny until the cows come home.

If Harvick were to open the door about leaving SHR in 2017, it would create a storm that would follow him throughout the rest of the 2016 season. It would be a distraction for him and his entire team. Not only would it create issues for the No. 4 team, but it would also have a negative impact on Kasey Kahne and the No. 5 team. The only way to avoid such issues is to never open that door and the only way to do that is to deny the mere thought of it, which is what Harvick has done.

In the end maybe none of this is even a thing. Maybe Harvick is thrilled about the move to Ford in 2017. Maybe Harvick has plans to end his career at SHR and moving to another team is something that he would never truly consider. Maybe HMS doesn’t even have Harvick on their radar and they never made an offer to him. Then again, maybe there is more to this than Harvick is letting on. NASCAR fans need to realize that athletes have been known to twist reality during times of contract talks, free agency, negations with teams etc.

I’m not saying that Harvick is going to be driving the No. 5 machine for HMS in 2017, but it would be naïve to think that there isn’t some truth to all of this. Tom Bowles of Frontstretch.com isn’t running around trying to make Harvick’s life ####. On the flip side, Harvick isn’t about to turn the next 24 races into a circus by saying that teams are offering him deals or anything along those lines.

Come the end of the 2016 season I am sure this will all sort itself out. Until then, denial is the only option Harvick has. If Harvick is with another team in 2017, denial still would have been the best way to handle what is going on now in 2016 and that’s just the way it is.

:arrow: http://beyondtheflag.com/2016/05/17/nas ... right-now/

#SmokeHasRisen
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue May 17, 2016 1:45 pm

silly season is nascar version of reality tv
<<

barnes442

Post Tue May 17, 2016 10:18 pm

The 4 is the best ride he has had in his career. The 5 would end up being even worse than the turd he had at RCR

Plus the 4 would only become even stronger than it is once its the flagship Ford car
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue May 17, 2016 11:44 pm

a driver with kevins talent would make the 5 car better, not the turd you so suggest, the turd is the 4 pit crew
<<

alenigma

Post Wed May 18, 2016 6:48 pm

I'm gonna take a "wait and see" attitude on this one. He has made a ton of money driving Chevys! :D
<<

barnes442

Post Wed May 18, 2016 10:48 pm

michaeljohn wrote:a driver with kevins talent would make the 5 car better, not the turd you so suggest, the turd is the 4 pit crew

I think he would make it better but what improvements he is able to make to the 5 wont get it to the current level of the 4 much less the level the 4 will attain as the flagship of the Ford program.
<<

Ric

Post Thu May 19, 2016 10:40 am

If Kevin is commenting on the rumors, he probably wants to put them to rest. If something was actually going on behind the scenes, then he'd probably stay silent. Most of the recent comments (in the last week) have not been from a direct question from the media. It was a reaction to the rumors floating around.

I knew that it was a step up moving from RCR to SHR. A move to Hendrick seems lateral at best. Sure, he came aboard SHR and turned the former #39 team into a winner...with the help of Rodney Childers. A move to Hendrick is a crap shoot. Could he find the same magic over there? The problem I see is that HMS has always been a 1 or 2 car team as far as being capable of wins. I read that HMS has won 6 of the last 10 titles. True. All with the 48. Junior was supposed to do great things when he came aboard. Kahne as well. There's a laundry list of drivers that were supposed to be great at HMS that were not.

It isn't lost on me that SHR is the same as far as having 1 solid race winning tea, and the rest are far behind.

I didn't expect KH to be so good when he came to SHR. I never imagined he would win 5 races and a championship in his 1st year there. I think it's the people that he's surrounded with. Rodney, first and foremost. I can't imagine leaving that behind just because he's been with Chevy his whole career.
<<

jdpirate

Post Thu May 19, 2016 12:16 pm

Should stop the rumor mill for a while :lol: :lol: :lol:

KANNAPOLIS, N.C. – Stewart-Haas Racing (SHR), the championship-winning NASCAR Sprint Cup Series team, has signed driver Kevin Harvick to a long-term contract extension.

Harvick joined SHR in 2014 after 13 Sprint Cup seasons and his impact with the organization was immediate. In his debut year with SHR, the Bakersfield, California-native scored eight poles, won five races and led 2,137 laps en route to his first Sprint Cup championship. Harvick’s title defense in 2015 was incredibly strong, as he won three races and earned career-best numbers in top-fives (23), top-10s (28) and laps led (2,294) before finishing second in the championship. Harvick already has a win, five top-fives, nine top-10s and 688 laps led in the 12 Sprint Cup races run this season.

“It was a big decision to join Stewart-Haas Racing and it has turned out to be my best decision,” said Harvick, who has won nine of his 32 career Sprint Cup victories with SHR. “I came to Stewart-Haas Racing to win championships. We have one, but that only made us hungry for more. I’m very happy to have my future secure with a team so dedicated to winning.”

Harvick will continue to drive the team’s No. 4 entry and remain paired with crew chief Rodney Childers, who signed a multiyear contract extension last June.

“Kevin’s results speak for themselves, and in addition to those numbers, he brings a presence to our team that makes everyone want to work harder,” said Tony Stewart, co-owner of SHR with Gene Haas, founder of Haas Automation, the largest CNC machine tool builder in North America. “Kevin Harvick has made Stewart-Haas Racing a better team and he will continue to be an integral part of our future.”

Stewart earned SHR its first Sprint Cup championship in 2011, with Harvick bookending that title in 2014. SHR is one of only five active Sprint Cup teams with multiple premiere series titles.

“When you have talented people who consistently deliver results, you hold on to them,” Haas said. “Kevin Harvick is an exceptional talent and we’re very proud to have him a part of Stewart-Haas Racing for years to come.”
I'm Living my life the way I want to..... Tony Stewart
Never Quit..... Marcus Luttrell Lone Survivor

Return to Kevin Harvick