FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Congrats CUPCAKE!

<<

Granddadron

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:32 am

Re: Congrats CUPCAKE!

michaeljohn wrote:i remember sr being able to overcome anything, never gave excuses, nice to see harvick fans make excuses for his lack luster career

Well, MJ, your memory may be better than mine because I'll admit to being old, but I can remember a few lean years for Dale Sr. I remember his younger years before he drove for RCR the last time. Granted, he was good. Richard even admitted he couldn't supply good enough cars for him and sent him away until RCR could build better cars. During those years Dale didn't win often because the equipment was not good enough. When Richard was building better cars, Dale came back and we all know the "rest of the story"....

Now think about it -- If you agree at all with what I have written, then you must agree that it is the match up of Dale Sr. with a good company and crew that gave him those "glory years". And also remember that Kevin won twice that first year driving the same equipment as Dale.

I believe the loss of Dale Sr. had such a tremendous impact on all of RCR that they, more or less, gave up. They didn't keep up with the advancements as quickly as they should and, therefore, couldn't provide the support ANY driver needed to consistently win in the following years.

Maybe I'm wrong -- maybe I'm right. Only time will tell how good Kevin is with good equipment and a great team, but I'm thinking he's going to give "ole 6time" a run this year.
<<

Granddadron

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:54 am

I am too new to this forum and too old to know how to work it, or to reply to private messages, or most anything else, but I want to reply to a private message I received here. If that is not proper, somebody please tell me how to do it otherwise.

I was asked, because of my long time following of NASCAR (My dad's name was Glen Roberts, so obviously we were early followers of "Fireball" Roberts) and being an avid Dale Sr. fan, what I thought about the return of the #3. Well, to put it bluntly, I have mixed feelings. I'm not a fan of "retiring" car numbers -- good grief, who want to cheer for # 666973? One and Two digit car numbers are good... three or more digits is bad. However, since I was such a close fan of Dale Sr., if there ever was a car number to retire that would be it, for me. But then, someone else could make the same argument for the #43 and plenty of other numbers as well. So, I am thinking car numbers should not be retired.

Now... so what do I think about Austin Dillon driving it? He is as good as anyone else. He certainly isn't the driver I would have picked, but the car number belongs to Richard so he gets to decide. As the younger generation says, "I'm cool with it"!
<<

wolfgang

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:34 pm

I'm beginning to accept the fact the #3 is back, but I don't have to like it. ;)
Fireball Roberts I remember the song written about him as a child, and as an adult I got to see some rare footage of him racing back in those days as many others. Those days must have been really exciting-especially on dirt, no power steering, actual beefed up "stock" cars, bias tires, sheet metal, the only bad part was safety really wasn't really an issue back then, lap belts, stock bucket seats and even bench seats :shock: glass windshields, no on board Fire ext. ect.
What I have seen of the races back in that time frame, I wish I could see more video of them.
What always impressed me about Dale Snr. and a lot of Cale Yarborough too, not so much just their aggressiveness, but they seemed to be able to put a car where no one else could. Didn't always work, but when it did WOW. :lol:
Harvick was picked by Dale Snr. and I've followed him since the Bush Series and Ron Hornady may only be good in a Truck, but he was always fun to watch too-especially against Jack Sprague and their rivalry as well as friendship.
When I think of how things use to be when I started taking interest in early "79" I sure would have liked to seen it thru the beginning. 8-)
<<

wolfgang

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:50 pm

Welcome aboard granddadron, I appreciate your honesty and i'm happy another Dale Snr./Harvick fan is here as well. ;) Would be willing to bet you have a lot of neat stories if you've been a Nascar fan since Fireball Roberts. 8-)
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:54 pm

well Gd, first welcome to the site, i appreciate the things you wrote, alot of what i wrote came from wolf sending me a PM, he likes to bust my chops, so thats all i was doing here, just giving him a small taste that he has give e over the years..
<<

Granddadron

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:52 pm

Thanks to both of you guys MJ & Wolf. It is good to have some friendly rivalry, but it is even better to know it is mostly all in fun. I might have a story or two... My dad took me to my first stock car race at a local track in Vernon, Texas back in 1946 or '47. A local driver named "Potsie Jones" drove the #1 "John Deere Ford". The race car started out as a 1934 Ford coupe. I am fairly certain "Potsie" was not his real name, but he was certainly a good driver. We lived in the southwest corner of Oklahoma back then and would go to Wichita Falls, TX, Snyder, TX and Lawton, OK to watch the races on Friday and Saturday nights. The radio station in Wichita Falls would broadcast some races so when we couldn't go, we would listen on the radio.

By the early 1950's we had moved to Missouri and could listen to the early Nascar (wasn't called that back then) races. That is when we started following Fireball. There was a local track in Joplin that we would go to sometimes, but not enough for me. Then in 1955 we moved to Fort Smith, Arkansas which had three dirt tracks within 30 miles. Boy was that fun. Mark Martin came to race at Tri-State several times until he got famous.

It's good to know you guys....
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:46 pm

Granddadron wrote:Thanks to both of you guys MJ & Wolf. It is good to have some friendly rivalry, but it is even better to know it is mostly all in fun. I might have a story or two... My dad took me to my first stock car race at a local track in Vernon, Texas back in 1946 or '47. A local driver named "Potsie Jones" drove the #1 "John Deere Ford". The race car started out as a 1934 Ford coupe. I am fairly certain "Potsie" was not his real name, but he was certainly a good driver. We lived in the southwest corner of Oklahoma back then and would go to Wichita Falls, TX, Snyder, TX and Lawton, OK to watch the races on Friday and Saturday nights. The radio station in Wichita Falls would broadcast some races so when we couldn't go, we would listen on the radio.

By the early 1950's we had moved to Missouri and could listen to the early Nascar (wasn't called that back then) races. That is when we started following Fireball. There was a local track in Joplin that we would go to sometimes, but not enough for me. Then in 1955 we moved to Fort Smith, Arkansas which had three dirt tracks within 30 miles. Boy was that fun. Mark Martin came to race at Tri-State several times until he got famous.

It's good to know you guys....

wow sounds like you do got some good stories to tell, look fwd to reading them sometime, i always tell wolf this, i may not have been a fan of Sr's, but how could you not respect the man, i love hearin those stories how he helped out a family or a child and never wanted that part of him told. glad to meet ya and hope you enjoy your stay here at SHR site.
<<

wolfgang

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:36 pm

michaeljohn wrote:well Gd, first welcome to the site, i appreciate the things you wrote, alot of what i wrote came from wolf sending me a PM, he likes to bust my chops, so thats all i was doing here, just giving him a small taste that he has give e over the years..

I have no idea what you're talking about on the wolf or PM part MJ? [snicker]
Yes, we do bust on one another-but it's all in good fun and I think for the most part all of us have a good time here. There are a few here Gd will find out soon enough that make you go :roll: , but for the most part it's all good.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:29 pm

wolf makes me go :roll: but he also makes me giggle, he gives me grey hairs.
<<

wolfgang

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:38 pm

Why whatever do you mean MJ? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

Granddadron

Post Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:44 am

OK, Wolf... You may have addressed this years ago, but I've waited long enough. I noticed first thing your tag line and the names listed. I thought you might, at some point, hint about your connection to those names. I know all of those names by reputation - not by acquaintance -- and I know that Doug Wolfgang and Steve Swindell are both sprint car/outlaw drivers. So, Fess UP.
<<

wolfgang

Post Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:05 pm

Granddadron wrote:OK, Wolf... You may have addressed this years ago, but I've waited long enough. I noticed first thing your tag line and the names listed. I thought you might, at some point, hint about your connection to those names. I know all of those names by reputation - not by acquaintance -- and I know that Doug Wolfgang and Steve Swindell are both sprint car/outlaw drivers. So, Fess UP.

I'm not related or am I Doug Wolfgang if that's what you're thinking, but I do know him and Sammy Swindell. ;) The list is basicly those drivers who have inspired me over the years, well ok, my favorites. :mrgreen:
Junior Johnson I never got to see race, but as an owner he was quite the innovator. 8-)
The Wolf I haven't seen in years thou, not since his accident, he tried to make a come back but he just couldn't get there like he was before. Super nice guy and one heck of a wheel man, probly the best at one time.
Rick Mears is another I really liked and far as Dirt Modifieds Bob and his son Tim McCreadie.
<<

Granddadron

Post Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:20 am

Thanks Wolf... Yeah, I was thinking you might be related, but I'm glad you know him. The accident and fire took a long healing process. I think he was very badly burned from the chest down, along with hands and face. I didn't (don't) follow Casey much, but I have the others. You probably know that the Hornaday's probably housed 1/2 the Nascar drivers at one point or other... Certainly did Kevin and JJ. He is still a great driver in Trucks...

Anyway, thanks for the info. Now let's see if we can't win Vegas!
<<

wolfgang

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:33 pm

Kevin looked better than he normally does at Vegas, too bad for the darn part failure!
Previous

Return to Kevin Harvick