FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Danica featured in NASCAR Hall of Fame exhibit

<<

michaeljohn

User avatar

Posts: 8950

Images: 0
10183

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:06 pm

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:47 pm

Danica featured in NASCAR Hall of Fame exhibit

'Women in the Winner's Circle' unveiled for Women's History Month

March is Women's History Month, and the NASCAR Hall of Fame has unveiled a new exhibit, "Women in the Winner's Circle," to highlight six decades of women in racing.

"From drivers to administrators to car owners, this special exhibit showcases the significant role women have played in the development and evolution of NASCAR," says Winston Kelley, NASCAR Hall of Fame executive director. "Female trailblazers like Anne B. France, who was recently nominated for the inaugural Landmark Award for Outstanding Contributions to NASCAR, to Danica Patrick, who was the first female to win a pole at the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series level, are celebrated in this limited-time exhibit."

Originally developed by The Henry Ford museum and the Women in the Winner's Circle Foundation, this traveling exhibit is making its first stop in Charlotte. The NASCAR Hall of Fame has also added core artifacts to the exhibit to complement the rich story of women in motorsports. Vehicles, driving uniforms, trophies and other memorabilia are on display including:

• Louise Smith's 1939 Ford Coupe that was raced in the Modified Division on Daytona Beach in 1950 -- Smith racked up 38 Modified Division and Sportsman Division wins in her 10-year career that spanned 1946-1956
• Sara Christian's driving uniform that she wore on Oct. 2, 1949, at Heidelberg Raceway in Pennsylvania, when she finished fifth, the best finish of any female in the Strictly Stock Division (now NASCAR Sprint Cup Series)
• Patty Moise's 1990 Buick that set the all-time NASCAR speed lap record of 217.498 mph at Talladega Superspeedway on Jan. 23, 1990
• Janet Guthrie's NASCAR license from 1977, the year she became the first female to compete in the Daytona 500
• Danica Patrick's 2013 GoDaddy Chevrolet -- Patrick was first female to win a pole in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

In addition, the exhibit includes artifacts from other former and current drivers such as Janet Guthrie, Johanna Long, Shawna Robinson and more. Influential women in NASCAR are also highlighted including Lesa France Kennedy, who serves as CEO of International Speedway Corporation and vice chairperson for the NASCAR Board of Directors.

On Wednesday, the NASCAR Hall of Fame partnered with NASCAR Diversity Affairs to host a "Women in the Winner's Circle" luncheon and panel discussion. Panelists included JR Motorsports Co-owner Kelley Earnhardt Miller, former IndyCar driver Lyn St. James, NASCAR VP and Deputy General Counsel Karen Leetzow and NASCAR Whelen All-American Series and NASCAR Drive for Diversity driver Paige Decker. Moderated by SiriusXM NASCAR Radio host Claire B. Lang, the panelists shared how their professional and personal experiences have helped pave the way for a new generation of women leaders in the motorsports industry.

The "Women in the Winner's Circle" exhibit will be on display through June. Tickets to the NASCAR Hall of Fame can be purchased by calling (877) 231-2010 or at nascarhall.com.
I miss you Frehley........
<<

Schmoopy1000

User avatar

Posts: 4537

8305

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:45 pm

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:53 pm

Re: Danica featured in NASCAR Hall of Fame exhibit

Wow! 217 mph in a stock car. Thats crazy fast. Didnt know that she held that record.
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

User avatar

Posts: 8950

Images: 0
10183

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:06 pm

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:58 pm

Re: Danica featured in NASCAR Hall of Fame exhibit

i didnt know that either until i read this article
I miss you Frehley........
<<

14Smokem

User avatar

Posts: 594

8225

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:39 pm

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:13 pm

Re: Danica featured in NASCAR Hall of Fame exhibit

Schmoopy1000 wrote:Wow! 217 mph in a stock car. Thats crazy fast. Didnt know that she held that record.


Wow is right...!!!! I had no clue ever..... (feeling kinda dumm)
I always thought it was Cale Yarborough ...Duh


Special Thanks to MJ for posting this one.

The one I thought was especially noteworthy was:


• Louise Smith's 1939 Ford Coupe that was raced in the Modified Division on Daytona Beach in 1950 -- Smith racked up 38 Modified Division and Sportsman Division wins in her 10-year career that spanned 1946-1956

What a significant record... never heard of her til now.....
How could this have escaped the attention of NASCAR,
AND, us, the informed fans we believe ourselves to be.
1994 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Sprint Car Champion ** 1995 USAC Silver Crown Champion
1997 Indy Car Champion ** 2006 IROC Champion ** 2002 NASCAR Champion ** 2005 NASCAR Champion ** 2011 NASCAR Champion
<<

michaeljohn

User avatar

Posts: 8950

Images: 0
10183

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:06 pm

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: Danica featured in NASCAR Hall of Fame exhibit

i knew about Smith's for a few years and there is no way around this without saying so im gonna say it... they want danica to be recognized as the first for everything in the new world of nascar....

that statement is not a criticism of danica, its a criticism of nascar........

i feel i have to put a disclaimer with the answers i give now...............
I miss you Frehley........
<<

14Smokem

User avatar

Posts: 594

8225

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:39 pm

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:22 pm

Re: Danica featured in NASCAR Hall of Fame exhibit

michaeljohn wrote:i knew about Smith's for a few years and there is no way around this without saying so im gonna say it... they want danica to be recognized as the first for everything in the new world of nascar....

that statement is not a criticism of danica, its a criticism of nascar........

i feel i have to put a disclaimer with the answers i give now...............



And this... Found on Google...:


Smith retired in 1956 but remained active in the racing world: She sponsored various drivers, and was involved in the Miss Southern 500 Scholarship Pageant at Darlington Raceway in South Carolina. In 1999, she was inducted into the International Motorsports Hall of Fame in Talladega, Alabama. Smith died in April 2006, at the age of 89.

Wow..... Hope this link works to view entire article


http://www.history.com/this-day-in-hist ... smith-born
1994 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Sprint Car Champion ** 1995 USAC Silver Crown Champion
1997 Indy Car Champion ** 2006 IROC Champion ** 2002 NASCAR Champion ** 2005 NASCAR Champion ** 2011 NASCAR Champion
<<

Schmoopy1000

User avatar

Posts: 4537

8305

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:45 pm

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:34 pm

Re: Danica featured in NASCAR Hall of Fame exhibit

14Smokem wrote:
Schmoopy1000 wrote:Wow! 217 mph in a stock car. Thats crazy fast. Didnt know that she held that record.


Wow is right...!!!! I had no clue ever..... (feeling kinda dumm)
I always thought it was Cale Yarborough ...Duh


Special Thanks to MJ for posting this one.

The one I thought was especially noteworthy was:


• Louise Smith's 1939 Ford Coupe that was raced in the Modified Division on Daytona Beach in 1950 -- Smith racked up 38 Modified Division and Sportsman Division wins in her 10-year career that spanned 1946-1956

What a significant record... never heard of her til now.....
How could this have escaped the attention of NASCAR,
AND, us, the informed fans we believe ourselves to be.

well I dont know about Cale. But I knew of Bill Elliott's 212 mph.
ImageImageImage
<<

Searchers

User avatar

Posts: 332

8215

Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:15 am

Location: Florida

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:03 pm

Re: Danica featured in NASCAR Hall of Fame exhibit

I thought Bill Elliot held the record at Talladega.

Had no idea of this. Patty Moise's 1990 Buick that set the all-time NASCAR speed lap record of 217.498 mph at Talladega Superspeedway on Jan. 23, 1990.
<<

racer1

Posts: 1127

8000

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:24 am

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:39 am

Re: Danica featured in NASCAR Hall of Fame exhibit

"i knew about Smith's for a few years and there is no way around this without saying so im gonna say it... they want danica to be recognized as the first for everything in the new world of nascar....
that statement is not a criticism of danica, its a criticism of nascar..."

First off --nice to see Nascar honoring those woman as lots of female history in auto racing & esp that top speed at 'Dega was/is amazing even now.. The facts these woman of the past achieved what they did given their struggles throughout history in the male dominated world of auto racing is a testament to their toughness breaking those barriors for woman in racing considering all they went through back then to even get a ride, let alone last long enough to achieve what many did.

However--in response via the comments quoted above by some comparing those achievments of the woman drivers of the past with the modern day achievments of Danica is like comparing apples to onions. Danica gets all the attention as questioned above for MANY reasons, but simply because what she has and is achieving is in the TOP series of auto racing, Indycar previously and now Nascar which everyone knows is far more competitive then in the past.

As proof heres a silly fact --Sarah Christian mentioned in the article, was 10 laps down when she got the record 5th place finish in 1949. Danica bested that with a 4th in Vegas in 2011 as Dave Despain congratulated her on Windtunnel back then. He even joked about Christian being 10 laps down finishing 5th that the racing back then must not have been very competitive as proof, so theres no sense trying to compare the past with the present as not even close? :roll:

Other facts are --some of those achievements by woman of the past are recorded as their stats etc, but NOT really considered records in todays world of Nacar. As example--The article mentions all of Smiths wins as noted, YET the fact Nascar is always stating that NO female driver has ever won, clearly proves the point Nascar doesn't acknowledge Smiths wins back then far as a legitmate Nascar record anyway? Nascar apparently ONLY recognizes records/achievements set in its main series which is Trucks, NNS & Cup which IS where Danicas records & achievements have been recorded and yes--as a big deal? Janet Guthrie and Lynn St James have congradulated Danica for her achievements and Shawna Robinson who won the first pole in NNS history for a female, simply said after Danicas 500 pole, she wished she had Danica's car when she was driving- :lol:

BTW-- for those who take what I say wrong--I mean no offense to Smith or the other gals mentioned and their achievments etc esp given their struggles throughout auto racing history as mentioned. The sad part is in todays world of auto racing, it doesn't seem any better as NO females left in Indycar and only Danica is left in Nascar other then J J Cobb who runs trucks when she can. That's pretty sad for females when Nascar seems to give any 15-18 yr old male a ride nowdays--but no female --what does that say really--about Nascar--shame shame. :roll:

I'd like to go see that exhibit myself but doubt I cam--maybe someone can post pictures?
Last edited by racer1 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 8 times in total.
<<

wolfgang

User avatar

Posts: 3231

Images: 3
8280

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:21 pm

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:30 am

Re: Danica featured in NASCAR Hall of Fame exhibit

WOW, one pole at Daytona-well lah ,dee, dah!!!!
WHEN THE GREEN FLAG DROPS, THE B.S. STOPS !
<<

racer1

Posts: 1127

8000

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:24 am

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:19 am

Re: Danica featured in NASCAR Hall of Fame exhibit

"WOW, one pole at Daytona-well lah ,dee, dah!!!!"

Well--far more then that but if that's all you wanna see throughout her career with all the milestones & records she has set in top series of auto racing that she has become famous for and that the record books show--then so be it?

I admire what the woman of the past achieved, esp given their struggles as noted back then. Iam just saying given the circumstances of the past to the present, some always trying to compare drivers male or female, or racing back then to racing today etc is like comparing apples to onions--that's all? :roll:

Hey Wolfgang I know what you & others here would like? Lets magically push a button and get ALL the female drivers of the past in their prime in equal equip and let them race to see who is the best? Too bad that cant ever happen as it would be so cool, and even with the male drivers also JJ, Tony etc vs R Petty & Earnhardt SR all in their prime and in equal equip etc-?? Oh well. 8-)
<<

14Smokem

User avatar

Posts: 594

8225

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:39 pm

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:22 pm

Re: Danica featured in NASCAR Hall of Fame exhibit

racer1 wrote:"WOW, one pole at Daytona-well lah ,dee, dah!!!!"

Well--far more then that but if that's all you wanna see throughout her career with all the milestones & records she has set in top series of auto racing that she has become famous for and that the record books show--then so be it?

I admire what the woman of the past achieved, esp given their struggles as noted back then. Iam just saying given the circumstances of the past to the present, some always trying to compare drivers male or female, or racing back then to racing today etc is like comparing apples to onions--that's all? :roll:

Hey Wolfgang I know what you & others here would like? Lets magically push a button and get ALL the female drivers of the past in their prime in equal equip and let them race to see who is the best? Too bad that cant ever happen as it would be so cool, and even with the male drivers also JJ, Tony etc vs R Petty & Earnhardt SR all in their prime and in equal equip etc-?? Oh well. 8-)


Well........
Professional writers have said this in a much better way than I might be able to paraphrase....
but try and humor my attempt at this reconstructive thought

There is no possibility of success when trying to make ones self look better
by demeaning or tearing another person down.

The women who set the stage, and plowed the fields for those who followed
were amazing adventurous souls. They went where no one went before.

They deserve all the acclaim they might now receive for their achievements.

Let us please acknowledge them, appreciate their accomplishments, and
honor their records.

Let each of these massively talented women stand on their own
for their individual feats in this sport we all enjoy so much.
1994 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Sprint Car Champion ** 1995 USAC Silver Crown Champion
1997 Indy Car Champion ** 2006 IROC Champion ** 2002 NASCAR Champion ** 2005 NASCAR Champion ** 2011 NASCAR Champion
<<

Schmoopy1000

User avatar

Posts: 4537

8305

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:45 pm

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:54 pm

Re: Danica featured in NASCAR Hall of Fame exhibit

well said Smokem

I am trying so hard not to respond with counter points right now.
*I think I can, I think I can, I think I can*
ImageImageImage
<<

racer1

Posts: 1127

8000

Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:24 am

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:08 pm

Re: Danica featured in NASCAR Hall of Fame exhibit

One point to make --since many here admire the gals of the past as ive stated also, then why aren't some of you upset as ive stated that there are so FEW females left in auto racing these days? As I stated, It seems any young guy who comes along gets a free ride in some sort of racing series and even with the Nascar diversity program naming like 6 guys to it and finally 1 girl this yr--doesn't that say what the sorry state of Nascar really is today towards female drivers?

The other side is maybe we should blame the team owners like Penske, Ganassi, Roush, RCR etc for never considering a female driver other then R Hendricks reportedly brought in Danica for JRM in NNS yrs ago & moved to SHR in Cup. J Longs PT ride ran out and none of these big teams offered her a ride & no gals on the horizon either other then some in PT Arca or the K&N series, a long way from even NNS-- if ever? I really think Nascar likes its "good ole boys club" as they've shown throughout their history --that's all? :roll:
<<

Schmoopy1000

User avatar

Posts: 4537

8305

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:45 pm

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:32 pm

Re: Danica featured in NASCAR Hall of Fame exhibit

racer1 wrote:One point to make --since many here admire the gals of the past as ive stated also, then why aren't some of you upset as ive stated that there are so FEW females left in auto racing these days? As I stated, It seems any young guy who comes along gets a free ride in some sort of racing series and even with the Nascar diversity program naming like 6 guys to it and finally 1 girl this yr--doesn't that say what the sorry state of Nascar really is today towards female drivers?

The other side is maybe we should blame the team owners like Penske, Ganassi, Roush, RCR etc for never considering a female driver other then R Hendricks reportedly brought in Danica for JRM in NNS yrs ago & moved to SHR in Cup. J Longs PT ride ran out and none of these big teams offered her a ride & no gals on the horizon either other then some in PT Arca or the K&N series, a long way from even NNS-- if ever? I really think Nascar likes its "good ole boys club" as they've shown throughout their history --that's all? :roll:

we bash male drivers all the time. lots of us fans think there are male drivers undeserving of rides. Or usually when we are talking trash about them it is how dangerous they are. We just don't say hey lets put a woman driver in there place. We have opinions on race car drivers. Not male or female drivers. But as far as the point about Nascars view on Woman drivers. That was MJ's point in this thread about the state of Nascar. many of us have wanted to see J. Long in proper equipment, & yes we can name quite a list of subpar male drivers. As posters & fans we have been wanting to see not just Nascar but racing as a whole, find some quality women drivers. As far as blaming the high up teams. Cant see blaming them. They are driven by sponsors, not drivers. Most sponsors want talented drivers, but when it comes to women it is marketability. heII when the cope sisters tried to break into racing, they did a whole entire piece on them & they have no racing talent at all! Yet other women who can at the very least keep their cars at racing speeds, were ignored. So if I were to point blame it would be at nascar & Sponsors, who both happen to only care about Marketing. Teams are at the mercy of money which comes from Nascar & Sponsors.
Would love to see J. Long get a quality NW ride but don't see it happening. Was really looking forward to seeing Simona compete in Indy cars this year, after finally getting to the point of racing for podium finishes now, but even though sad I don't get to see her progress in that series, happy to see an F-1 team put enough belief in her to spend that kind of money, to put her in their cars, even though she wont be running in F-1 this year. Indy cars atleast has Woman drivers in there. none in high money teams but they are baby stepping their way up. nascar seems to only be interested in small framed women to get behind. As I pointed out the cope sisters who don't belong on a track. nascar should try to get behind the talent of a woman driver. not the dress size of the driver. But why would any of us expect Brian France to do anything right?

I don't think Jenn Jo Cobb is very talented driver & nascar did a whole piece on her as well. But I don't complain seeing her on the track however, because she is often using her own equipment & her own money to go racing. She has a true racers mentality. I can respect that.
ImageImageImage
Next

Return to Danica

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron
stewart haas logo footer



Terms of Use  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Policy  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us
COPYRIGHT © STEWART-HAAS RACING, LLC. All rights reserved.
Do not duplicate or redistribute in any form.
Approved by Tony Stewart & Gene Haas
PLEASE REPORT ANY PROBLEMS OR COMMENTS TO THE WEBMASTER