FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Danica pictures

<<

MikeVP

Post Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:15 am

Re: Danica pictures

Annalee wrote:
MikeVP wrote:ANNALEE...Yeah, Alex wouldn't like that one either. But WoW, the Coke Zero Picture is a really great shot of Danica!

Alex is getting geered up as we are making our annual pilgrimage to MIS on Sunday! My wife bought him a tshirt and ironed on the picture of him and Danica! When Alex met her, I told her the story of how he became her biggest fan.... We were at IMS during Pole day in 2009 and Danica was walking back to the garage. The crowd was yelling her name...then became quiet. Alex then stood up and yelled "I love you Danica!". She turned and waved in his direction. Ever since, he is nuts for Danica! Danica then asked Alex to let her know where we would be during Driver ride arounds (on the pick up trucks) so she could look and listen for "I love you Danica"! We've become friends with many people at SHR and Alex has become an unofficial member of the SHR pit crews. (Alex has said he wants to be a front tire changer since he was 3). So I've contacted a few of the crew members to let Danica know where we'd be so she can look for him.

We just love everyone at SHR. Every employee has been so gracious and giving to us. And it is
truly heart-felt from everyone. <3 <3

Can't wait for Sunday!!! Go SHR!!

Just a little background...Alex is 12 and we adopted him from Russia when he was 11 months old. He has FASD, which includes everything from seizures, ADHD, OCD, Growth issues, Social issues, and is mentally about the age of 6-7. He has gone through more things than most kids his age. However, He really is such a smart and funny boy, but the FASD just doesn't allow him to tell us how he feels....My wife and I are basically Alex's external brain. It's kinda like the "Groundhog Day" movie, where we have to tell him the same thing, hundreds of times every day. However, with
NASCAR, Alex knows all the drivers, car numbers, facts... It is the one thing where Alex can actually express his feelings (somewhat) and hold an intellectual discussion. NASCAR is one of the 2 things that we do as a family, where I feel like we are a "normal" family!

This just warms my heart....how loving and caring of your family to adopt this little boy.....Alex may struggle each and every day, but he's such a lucky little boy to have you and your wife to care for him........and I know you feel the same about him......through his struggles you come to realize what is really important in life.....God Bless you all....I hope he has the time of his life this weekend!!! If she could win this race .........that would be amazing for Alex.....Please share your Photos of the weekend if you can......

OKAY DANICA PRESSURE IS ON......WIN ONE FOR ALEX..... :D :D

Thanks for your kind words ANNALEE! It would be amazing if she won. Hope the HMS engines hold up - as they have not only had problems at MIS, but the whole 2014 season so far..

Will post pictures of the race as it will be a GREAT day! BTW..we are taking one of Alex's best buddies along and it will be his first race! Can't wait for him to experience Alex's (and our) passion! :D :shock: :shock: :shock:
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:44 am

Mike VP.....how are the Picts coming? If you need help Beaverpond and HH are great at doing at resizing......Hope Alex had a great day.... :D
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
<<

MikeVP

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:13 pm

Annalee...Sorry for delay. Been crazy with work. My crappy photos are up on the gallery under MikeVP.
<<

Jellikit

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:29 pm

Looking forward to it Mike. Alex and your comments have been one of the best things in this forum this season. Hope y'all had a great time.
<<

MikeVP

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:31 am

Here are a couple of pictures, the rest are in my MikeVP gallery. They are much larger when viewed in my gallery.

Jellikit - Wow! Thank you for your kind words. Much appreciated!

We had a GREAT time. Unfortunately, Danica didn't really seem to be looking intently for Alex, but she was riding and talking with the boss. Plus, the trucks (during driver intros) were going 45+, so I'm sure she never had a chance to really look or listen for him. However, we all screamed "I love you Danica!" We got a few strange looks from the people around us, until they saw Alex's shirt.
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:35 am

Enjoyed your Picts.....hope Alex had a good time, he so deserves it!! :D :D. His smile says it all!!
<<

ndunn

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:37 pm

Thank you for your post. I enjoyed your pictures from your gallery also. I appreciated your posting of your son Alex as it reminded me of a boy who lived next door to us years ago. He had similar issues as Alex but his love was baseball especially the Detroit Tigers. Bobby couldn't communicate very well but he knew the average of every one on the team and who could pitch and who had the most home runs. Special needs children give us the best they have and we all are lucky for that.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

MikeVP

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:01 am

Thanks ndunn. Much appreciated. Although I often get impatient and frustrated with what his condition makes him do (or not do), I love my son with all my heart and would do anything for him! I just keep praying everyday for patience and understanding from the Big Guy upstairs!
<<

Annalee

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:49 am

ndunn wrote:Thank you for your post. I enjoyed your pictures from your gallery also. I appreciated your posting of your son Alex as it reminded me of a boy who lived next door to us years ago. He had similar issues as Alex but his love was baseball especially the Detroit Tigers. Bobby couldn't communicate very well but he knew the average of every one on the team and who could pitch and who had the most home runs. Special needs children give us the best they have and we all are lucky for that.

I love your last line in your post......it is soooo true!!
<<

jdpirate

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:56 am

It takes special people to to love, nurture and raise Special Needs children.... so just remember when the days are tough and you may be impatient and frustrated---- You are Blessed AND Special as well!!
I'm living my life the way I want to.... Tony Stewart
[]Never Quit...... Marcus Luttrell
<<

ndunn

Post Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:18 am

Special needs children have always been a favorite of mine. It wasn't that I grew up with someone who had needs but what I did on my own. When I was in high school a friends mother was associated with a group who had charge of children with Downs syndrome. Pat and I would go on Saturday mornings and play with the kids. They have so much fun with very little to play with because of the times then but they loved whoever came into their lives. In the 70's my children and I attended the first Special Olympics held on the campus of Central Michigan University. Most people have no idea what these children are capable of (unless you care for one yourself) and what they will do to win. They know they are athletes and as we say "GO FOR It."
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

<<

MikeVP

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:33 pm

Thank you jdpirate! Much appreciated!

ndunn...very true. My cousin is an Area Director for Special Olympics and these kids can all teach us some lessons!
<<

ndunn

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:30 pm

MikeVP wrote:Thank you jdpirate! Much appreciated!

ndunn...very true. My cousin is an Area Director for Special Olympics and these kids can all teach us some lessons!

Your cousin is a blessing. It isn't easy putting together the Olympics so that each person has something they can participate in.

<<

smokieonefour

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:20 pm

MikeVP - LOVED the pictures and story. :-) I understand the love / frustration part, more than you may know. I have been raising my nephew, who is a high functioning Autistic, since he's been 14 and is now 19 and going to college. All I can say to the struggling parents and care givers is ... it does get a little easier, as they age. I can promise you this. Just hang in there... there is light coming. :-)

Also, in regards to Alex not being able to communicate some things... get him a cat or dog. Preferably a "trained service animal" that can meet his needs.... or just an animal he connects with, at the local animal shelter. Alzheimer patients who have lost the ability to speak or react, suddenly do so with an animal. Kids locked in their own worlds will come out, for an animal, or let them in. I hope you will give this suggestion some thought. :-)

As for you and your wife - what can I say, except the world needs MORE of you two. :-) The job of raising Alex might be the toughest job you ever take on ... but will also be the most satisfying, as well. :-) I wish you lots of extra patience & love. If you ever need to talk... I've been there, done that with my nephew ( who does not share the same problems as your child ) since he was a toddler and have a lot of info to share, if you ever want it. :-)

saying a prayer for your family. :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

MikeVP

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:08 am

Thank you for the words of encouragement and prayers smokieonefour! Really appreciated! Thank you for what you've done for your nephew! You are a great role model for him!

I keep praying every day, that a lightbulb will turn on one day, but with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder...you just never know...

And regarding dogs...we love them! We have a Golden Retriever/Irish Setter/Sheltie, named Ruby. We also foster dogs when we can...

Here's a picture of Alex with Ruby and our foster "Stubbs" (who has since been adopted)

Last edited by MikeVP on Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Danica