FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Twitter

<<

hboyle

Post Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:55 pm

Twitter

I know the following article is old news, but I thought it was still an interesting read. I also figured that we could use this thread to talk about any comments on Twitter that we find interesting too so it's multi-purposeful. :)

Danica Patrick tops 1M Twitter followers
Posted: February 24, 2014 - 12:10am | Updated: February 24, 2014 - 12:17am

Patrick is the first NASCAR driver to surpass 1 million followers on Twitter — enough to rank her among the top female athletes in the world.

Patrick hit the mark in the days leading up to Sunday’s season-opening Daytona 500.

“It just shows what incredible and loyal fans I have,” she told The Associated Press before the race. “It’s pretty humbling that 1 million people are curious about what I have to say and what I’m doing. I really can’t thank everyone enough for their passion and interest.”

Although Patrick receives harsh criticism from die-hard NASCAR fans who accuse her of not having earned her ride in the Sprint Cup Series, she’s enormously popular among casual sports fans and her loyal supporters.

She thanked longtime personal sponsor TISSOT for getting her started on Twitter, and GoDaddy, her NASCAR sponsor, for allowing her to be “organic, real and fun” while using social media.

The 1 million mark easily tops all NASCAR drivers. Next highest is six-time champion Jimmie Johnson’s 530,000 followers. Juan Pablo Montoya leads all IndyCar drivers with just under 800,000. Patrick’s boyfriend, fellow NASCAR driver Ricky Stenhouse Jr., has 126,000 followers.

Topping the 1 million mark ranks Patrick among the top female athletes. She’s got more followers than Lindsey Vonn, Maria Sharapova, Mia Hamm and Anna Kournikova.

Those she still trails? Serena Williams’ 4 million followers and U.S. soccer player Alex Morgan’s 1.3 million.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:17 pm

Re: Twitter

its is a big deal that she has clipped the million follower mark, but twitter should not define her as a driver as one person here thinks, it should matter the performance on the track that will define her time in motorsports, but im sure as im writing this i will be personally attacked for my comments, this is why the danica thread is dead, people are tired of someone and their hate speech, but i digress. i just found it funny JJ was in 2nd place,
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

hboyle

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:34 pm

michaeljohn wrote:i just found it funny JJ was in 2nd place,

That's actually one of the reasons why I posted the article because it talked about how many followers some of the others had. I also thought it was interesting how they compared her to other people outside of NASCAR like Lindsey Vonn, Maria Sharapova, Mia Hamm and Anna Kournikova, Serena Williams, and Alex Morgan just to give some sort of perspective/comparison. I also liked how Danica pointed out that her sponsors let her be free with Twitter, which explains why I've probably enjoyed her Twitter page a lot more than others. I just really enjoyed the article, not trying to make any particular point.

I will make a point here now though - social media definitely has a large role in sports, including NASCAR, these days. Take Dale Jr. joining Twitter for instance. It's incredible how these drivers can type one sentence and send it out to hundreds of thousands. I was reading an article yesterday about how Twitter is one of the most effective social media strategies for NASCAR to get information out, and I completely agree with them. This is especially helpful for people that don't have access to television or at least certain channels on the TV - the amount of information that people can get from the internet and social media is a wondrous thing. On race day, if I'm ever having trouble getting the race, I can always count on Twitter to give me information that I might not have had (I also follow SHR to get the play-by-play on pits, etc). Twitter also enables drivers to interact with fans that didn't happen before (take Dale Jr. answering questions from fans during his flight last night and Danica answering questions from fans during a designated "Tissot Time" for example). Just thought it was cool.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:47 pm

michaeljohn wrote:its is a big deal that she has clipped the million follower mark, but twitter should not define her as a driver as one person here thinks, it should matter the performance on the track that will define her time in motorsports, but im sure as im writing this i will be personally attacked for my comments, this is why the danica thread is dead, people are tired of someone and their hate speech, but i digress. i just found it funny JJ was in 2nd place,

I thought JPM was in 2nd
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:58 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:
michaeljohn wrote:its is a big deal that she has clipped the million follower mark, but twitter should not define her as a driver as one person here thinks, it should matter the performance on the track that will define her time in motorsports, but im sure as im writing this i will be personally attacked for my comments, this is why the danica thread is dead, people are tired of someone and their hate speech, but i digress. i just found it funny JJ was in 2nd place,

I thought JPM was in 2nd

JPM is always first!!!!!!
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:03 pm

hboyle wrote:
michaeljohn wrote:i just found it funny JJ was in 2nd place,

That's actually one of the reasons why I posted the article because it talked about how many followers some of the others had. I also thought it was interesting how they compared her to other people outside of NASCAR like Lindsey Vonn, Maria Sharapova, Mia Hamm and Anna Kournikova, Serena Williams, and Alex Morgan just to give some sort of perspective/comparison. I also liked how Danica pointed out that her sponsors let her be free with Twitter, which explains why I've probably enjoyed her Twitter page a lot more than others. I just really enjoyed the article, not trying to make any particular point.

I will make a point here now though - social media definitely has a large role in sports, including NASCAR, these days. Take Dale Jr. joining Twitter for instance. It's incredible how these drivers can type one sentence and send it out to hundreds of thousands. I was reading an article yesterday about how Twitter is one of the most effective social media strategies for NASCAR to get information out, and I completely agree with them. This is especially helpful for people that don't have access to television or at least certain channels on the TV - the amount of information that people can get from the internet and social media is a wondrous thing. On race day, if I'm ever having trouble getting the race, I can always count on Twitter to give me information that I might not have had (I also follow SHR to get the play-by-play on pits, etc). Twitter also enables drivers to interact with fans that didn't happen before (take Dale Jr. answering questions from fans during his flight last night and Danica answering questions from fans during a designated "Tissot Time" for example). Just thought it was cool.

the last 2 or 3 years twitter has exploded for nascar no question about it and it has sped up the way we get news reports instead of waiting til race weekend, i heard many drivers say they dont want to use twitter because of the negativity that goes with it, now i never followed Danica or read her page, but im sure she gets heat on there, but it sounds like she doesnt even waste her time with the negative stuff, thats why i am surprised Jr opened up his account, because m sure people started to follow him to give him heat.
<<

hboyle

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:38 pm

michaeljohn wrote:the last 2 or 3 years twitter has exploded for nascar no question about it and it has sped up the way we get news reports instead of waiting til race weekend, i heard many drivers say they dont want to use twitter because of the negativity that goes with it, now i never followed Danica or read her page, but im sure she gets heat on there, but it sounds like she doesnt even waste her time with the negative stuff, thats why i am surprised Jr opened up his account, because m sure people started to follow him to give him heat.

One of the funniest things I saw last night as I was watching Dale answer fans was when he was asked one fan said it looks like he's gotten the hang of Twitter, and he replied, "@JimmieJohnson I'm all ears! This is all your fault! #BlameJJ #2XDaytona500Champ" It sounds like JJ might have tried to convince him to use Twitter or at least answer some fan questions. lol.

Yeah, I don't know how any of the drivers handle the negativity on Twitter. I mean, Danica seems like she just has the "I don't care attitude." It's admirable in a way how she listens more to the praise than the criticism and just keeps going. I'm sure Dale has already heard criticism too outside of Twitter so he might be used to it already too. Who knows?
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:38 am

in the past JJ has tweeted that he couldnt wait for Jr to b on twitter so that Jr's fans stop harassing him, haha, thats never going to stop, Im sure n some level it bugs a driver if they see all these negative comments, everyone wants to be liked, I dont follow many people on twiiter, maybe 5 people. I might have to un-follow Jr, he re-tweets everything, he is hogging up my screen :D
have you ever come across and bad thing said to Danica on twitter?

btw that interview she had with Jr's niece was informative than when she is interviewed by the regular race reporters. it was also cute the interaction they both had.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:52 am

michaeljohn wrote:in the past JJ has tweeted that he couldnt wait for Jr to b on twitter so that Jr's fans stop harassing him, haha, thats never going to stop, Im sure n some level it bugs a driver if they see all these negative comments, everyone wants to be liked, I dont follow many people on twiiter, maybe 5 people. I might have to un-follow Jr, he re-tweets everything, he is hogging up my screen :D
have you ever come across and bad thing said to Danica on twitter?

btw that interview she had with Jr's niece was informative than when she is interviewed by the regular race reporters. it was also cute the interaction they both had.

I missed that interview. jr's niece cracks me up when she does interviews. Think she should do all the interviews with drivers LOL
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:18 am

no doubt SCH, i seen a couple last year and they were great, i think its cute how she referrers to him as uncle jr, i wouldnt be surprised to see her in a cup ride one day...
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:38 pm

michaeljohn wrote:no doubt SCH, i seen a couple last year and they were great, i think its cute how she referrers to him as uncle jr, i wouldnt be surprised to see her in a cup ride one day...

screw putting her in a race car. I rather her become the next Wendy :)
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:24 pm

sexist pig! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: i just love typing those two words...

what if she has the skills to drive?????
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:13 pm

well that would be cool, but we already knows she knows how to give an interview :)
ImageImageImage

Return to Danica