Tony Backs Danica

<<

smokieonefour

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:09 am

Tony Backs Danica

Link ( with a video ) - http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/st ... y-comments

By David Newton | ESPN.com
Updated: July 27, 2013, 7:13 PM ET

INDIANAPOLIS -- Kyle Petty may not think Danica Patrick is a racecar driver, but three-time Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart does.

Stewart stood up for his rookie driver on Saturday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway when questioned about Patrick recently asking him whether she was meeting his expectations.

Patrick
Patrick

The owner of Stewart-Haas Racing referenced a recent comment made by Petty, a former driver and NASCAR analyst for Fox Sports and TNT, about Patrick not being a racecar driver and "I don't think she's ever going to be a racecar driver."

"When Kyle Petty said the stuff he did, it was way out of line and very inappropriate," Stewart said during qualifying for Sunday's Brickyard 400. "There's a lot of factors that go into it. Some of the finishes we know she should have had have been pit-crew related, some of them are days that Ryan [Newman] and myself and we all struggle. It's not just her.

"When somebody like Kyle beats you up like that, you take it to heart. She's somebody who wants to do things the right way. She works at it. It's a scenario where somebody has to tell you, 'You are doing the right thing and disregard what one person says.' "

Patrick is 27th in points with one top-10 finish -- an eighth in the Daytona 500 where she started on the pole. Her average starting position has been 30.7 and her average finish 25.6.

But Stewart said he is proud of what Patrick has accomplished since leaving the IndyCar Series after the 2011 season to pursue a full-time career in NASCAR.

That she asked if she was meeting expectations showed him her desire to succeed.

"She doesn't sit there and pout about it," Stewart said. "She's like, 'OK, if something is not right, what do I do to make it better?' She's got the right mindset, she does the right things, she asks the right questions.

"I've said it from Day One, she does everything right in my opinion."

Patrick is looking forward to her debut in a Cup car at IMS, where she finished third in the 2009 Indianapolis 500 and had six top 10s in seven 500s.

"They are equally challenging," she said of running here in a stock car versus IndyCar. "When you get flat [out] in an IndyCar, its generally fairly comfortable. Building up to that is grab your gonads and go for it.

"It's similar in a stock car. I think Newman said, 'Go flat [out] 'til you see God and then lift.' "

Patrick hasn't gotten completely comfortable here in a stock car. She qualified 33rd and has been slow in practice.

But nothing she's done has given her boss cause to lose faith in her.

"To some degree that's the real question, is what are the expectations of me," Patrick said of her conversation with Stewart two weeks ago at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. "Do you think I am supposed to be in the top 20 and top 15 all the time? Or am I not?

"He said, 'If I saw there being an issue, or something that stood out as a problem or an area you needed to work on, I would have come to you already, but I don't see it. And every time I'm behind you, you are doing the right thing.'

"He said we have to work on the cars and make them better, and he thinks I'm doing a good job. That's the boss ... so."
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:12 am

Re: Tony Backs Danica

I'm NOT a Danica fan by ANY means BUUUUUUUUUUUT, as far as I'm concerned KP has NO ROOM to talk about being a RACER OR race car driver. He won a WHOPPING 8 races in 30 yrs. To add to that, he took 12.....count 'em 12 years to get his first pole. :lol: :lol: H3LL, even MIKE SKINNER won a Championship albeit in the TRUCK series but still, he won a Championship and it was the INAUGURAL season for the truck series. THAT in MY opinion makes it special. Crucify me for NOT being a "Danifan"
if you wish, it doesn't matter to me either way. Just voicing an OPINION. If y'all wanna compre Danica's stats to ANYONE in history, go to driveraverages.com...... I'm outta here :D
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:53 am

i disagree MW, just like rusty gets to spew out his lies like he did today, kyle has the right to say what he wants, and he wasnt out of line, so he won 8 races, thats 8 more than most drivers ever get, so does that mean unless you have a certain amount of wins, you can not comment? tony may have given the PC answer today, but he is anything but PC on the radio when he says he wants to dump cuz she is gettin on his nerves,
I miss you Frehley........
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:45 am

"PC" is the root of all evil these daze. KP has his opinion and so does that other no drivin' F%&k, Kenny Wallace. Commentating and making stuff personal because you don't like someone are a few yards apart. Is there a jealousy factor in the mix?? I don't know and don't really care, but, it sure sounds like that's the case. 2 "wannabes" that weren't good enough to call "has beens" need some kind of validation in today's world and sometimes it makes no difference who catches the flak.... :shock:
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:31 am

lets keep in mind kenny wallace was the one who started to call danica "a woman built like a 12 year old boy." but there was no up in arms about that.
I miss you Frehley........

Return to Danica