FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Danica Patrick: Indy 500 not ruled out

<<

jamo14

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Danica Patrick: Indy 500 not ruled out

RICHMOND, Va. -- Danica Patrick said Friday she is still looking for an opportunity to race in the Indianapolis 500 next season -- if she can get a competitive ride.

"I'd like to if it's with the right team," Patrick said at Richmond International Raceway. "If it's not, then there is no point for me. I feel like I'd still be able to get in a seat and get comfortable with the amount of practice time there is in Indy and have a shot to win the race. But again, if I don't have a shot to win the race or feel like it's a real opportunity, then I am not going to do it."

Patrick made seven Indy 500 starts, with a best finish of third in 2009 -- the highest ever finish for a woman in the field. She left IndyCar at the end of last year for NASCAR and is scheduled to run the full Sprint Cup season in 2013.

In that Cup job with Stewart-Haas Racing, Patrick would be committed to run NASCAR's Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway on the same day as the Indy 500. The last driver to run both races on the same day was Robby Gordon in 2003.

There is only a handful of team owners in IndyCar who could field a potential winning car for Patrick, since any effort would be just for her and for that race. Putting together a team and finding the sponsorship needed to fund the effort might not be easy.

"We're working on it. I'd like to do it if we can," Patrick said.

She also said she would like to run Nationwide races next season. Patrick ran a limited Nationwide schedule the last two years with JR Motorsports and is in her first full season this year.

"I would like to run some Nationwide races next year, for sure," she said. "The big tracks because they definitely relate the closest, Daytona and Talladega. And I'd like to run some of the tracks that are more challenging and difficult, and tracks that benefit from just pure track time. Things like that are good for me to run next year and get that extra track time. Obviously it's a matter of figuring out how that's going to work in sponsorship, but I would like to run some."

Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

Rochelle

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:48 pm

Re: Danica Patrick: Indy 500 not ruled out

I was under the impression that the timing of the Indy 500 and Coke 600 made it impossible?
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

jamo14

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:51 pm

I believe they're moving one of the start times...not sure which..maybe they already moved the Indy 500 start time back up already, not sure...Indycar is always cganging stuff around in an attempt to keep the series going
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

smoke14rulez

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:21 am

...still gonna' be hard for her to get a decent ride.
Image Image
...is that a breadstick or are you just happy to see me?
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:16 am

Well she isnt gonna race for Andretti, & I am pretty sure Penske & Ganassi isnt gonna hand her a cushy ride. So as far as a team that can win it. Who's left?
ImageImageImage
<<

palino_s

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:26 am

Schmoopy1000 wrote:Well she isnt gonna race for Andretti, & I am pretty sure Penske & Ganassi isnt gonna hand her a cushy ride. So as far as a team that can win it. Who's left?

Ganassi is Honda team..

Schmoopy, if Danica stayed in IndyCar, Roger hires Danica.. Briscoe stays because Danica left IndyCar..

Imho, The Captain hires drivers for 2 reasons: 1st - for championship, 2nd - for Indianapolis 500..

Helio Castroneves is overated. Every teammate beats him.. Roger doesnt fire him, because he is best chance for Indy500..

Thankfully she wants NW partial schedule..
#10 (Danica), #14, #24, #32 (Terry), #39, #42
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:48 am

palino_s wrote:
Schmoopy1000 wrote:Well she isnt gonna race for Andretti, & I am pretty sure Penske & Ganassi isnt gonna hand her a cushy ride. So as far as a team that can win it. Who's left?

Ganassi is Honda team..

Schmoopy, if Danica stayed in IndyCar, Roger hires Danica.. Briscoe stays because Danica left IndyCar..

Imho, The Captain hires drivers for 2 reasons: 1st - for championship, 2nd - for Indianapolis 500..

Helio Castroneves is overated. Every teammate beats him.. Roger doesnt fire him, because he is best chance for Indy500..

well as you know I dont know much on the Indy side of these marriages. or even if there is a rule against how many teams they can have or not.
My train of thought was penske has an ex open wheeler who was pretty good at the 500 already on his payroll, in the stock car series. Why would he hire Danica (his competition) to run the 500?
That is why I usually end my post on open wheels with a question. because I usually dont know.
But say for the moment I am right & those three are out of the running for a ride. What quality ride (for the 500) would she be able to land still? (I dont know all the teams out there)
I just know Ganassi & Penske are the creme of that sport.
ImageImageImage
<<

palino_s

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:21 am

Schmoopy1000 wrote:
palino_s wrote:

Ganassi is Honda team..

well as you know I dont know much on the Indy side of these marriages. or even if there is a rule against how many teams they can have or not.
My train of thought was penske has an ex open wheeler who was pretty good at the 500 already on his payroll, in the stock car series. Why would he hire Danica (his competition) to run the 500?
That is why I usually end my post on open wheels with a question. because I usually dont know.
But say for the moment I am right & those three are out of the running for a ride. What quality ride (for the 500) would she be able to land still? (I dont know all the teams out there)
I just know Ganassi & Penske are the creme of that sport.

Danica is racing for JRM and SHR.. Her owners Rick Hendrick and Tony Stewart are Chevrolet's guys.. That means she must start with Chevrolet..

For first Roger Penske is former NASCAR driver and Formula 1 driver.. Roger won 1 NASCAR race (low series).. He is longtime NASCAR and IndyCar owner and former Formula 1 owner..

Answer is: because Danica has result in Indy500.. She has better results than Will Power and Ryan Briscoe together.. Imho last two Indy500 races she had crapy car and still beats whole Roger's team.. Roger will hire Danica for reason 2, because she was very good in Indy..

Imho, last year Penske cars had HMS decals in Indy.. Roger said maybe some NASCAR guys try Indy500.. Roger will hire NASCAR driver if driver has good results in Indianapolis..
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:39 am

Interesting. Did not know that.

I was refering to Hornish though, not Penske's Indy guys.

Although I think it would be interesting to see Danica in a Penske car at the 500.

So is there any other compeitive team out there for the 500 not named Penske or ganassi or Andretti?
ImageImageImage
<<

palino_s

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:46 am

Schmoopy1000 wrote:Interesting. Did not know that.

I was refering to Hornish though, not Penske's Indy guys.

Although I think it would be interesting to see Danica in a Penske car at the 500.

So is there any other compeitive team out there for the 500 not named Penske or ganassi or Andretti?

Hornish doesnt want back in IndyCar..

Andretti is competive when Ganassi or Penske has troubles.. For example Power made many mistakes and Ganassi has troubles with engines.. Only RHR is good this year, Marco and Hinch are struggling..

KV is good team (and Chevrolet team), but negative is Kanaan.. Danica and TK werent good teammates and werent friends.. Other negative is - Vasser wants Honda engine..

Panther is average team (Chevrolet team), but Panther is good in Indy.. From 2008 to 2011 Panther drivers finish 2nd.. (2008 Meira, 2009 and 2010 Wheldon, 2011 Hildebrand)

Other good teams are Ganassi and Rahal Letterman, but they are Honda teams..

Also Sarah Fisher's team is good this year.. Yes she has Honda engines, but she wants Chevrolet.. She wants full American team.. Imho it will great if Danica run for her old female rival..

But I think she will run for Penske.. Roger likes Danica.. Penske+HMS - I dont think that ends.. Rick and Roger are monsters, I think Rick with Roger doesnt make deal for one race.. Seriously, if they want cooperative ride for Indy500, they hire Danica or Smoke.. Roger wants former openwheeler with results in Indy and Rick wants driver from his umbrella (HMS, JRM, and SHR)..
<<

racer1

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:31 am

Right on one count-it WONT be Andretti as they have given her crappy cars for yrs and remember the entire team setting in the rain on bump day waiting to qualify when their engineers had messed up all their cars on qualifying day and none of them qualified except John Andretti who was a one-off and did his own setup, and btw he was the one who pointed out what they did wrong with all the other cars. ONLY Danica and Marco finally qualified as RHR didnt but they bought him a ride in the 500. Danica has said it was her most embarrasing nightmare, to maybe not qualify for her dream race. Therefore for sure--it WONT be Andretti,

I'd say Penske as well if it happens may be her best shot? With the new cars things havent changed alot other then RHR winning 4 races this yr but as mentioned the big teams P &G drivers have had issues when that happens as it has been for yrs. Andretti is still a 3rd rate team regardless in my opinion.

Also Chevy is behind this 120% as is everyone in Danicas corner and beyond as the Indy 500 is her best race and the race that helped start Danicamania. However to take a lessor ride and be embarrased again, would be terrible for her but the truth is even the best ride in town she could have mech problems, crash or other issues as there really are no gaurantees in auto racing.

I'd like to see her back one more time with her old owner that started it all --Bobby Rahal. He is in large part mostly responsible for all she has, trusting her by signing her early on, moving her from Atlantics straight to Indycar where she had never driven on an oval. That would be a newsworthy yet touchy reunion for sure and they gave her a great car once and could do it again. Not sure if she could be a one-off with that team and run a different motor though? SFR would be great for them if Danica could bring in her own engineers etc and even crew which is possible, esp with Tonys help as there were rumors once he might start an Indycar team anyway??

If its going to happen I'd say they need to get it done fairly soon, course the 500 is over 6 months away yet, but with the money and power in Danicas corner, IF it can be done, IT will be done. 8-)
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:49 am

Andretti is on the verge of winning a championship, and if they dont win it, calling them 3rd rate is sour grapes on your behalf, they improved a ton this year, or maybe that bothers you cuz danica wasnt part of the resurgence. in closing you never worked for Andretti so you have no room to talk, you never set up indy cars, so you have no room to walk, once you walk a mile in Michael's shoes, then you can talk, sound familiar?
<<

palino_s

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:15 am

michaeljohn wrote:Andretti is on the verge of winning a championship, and if they dont win it, calling them 3rd rate is sour grapes on your behalf, they improved a ton this year, or maybe that bothers you cuz danica wasnt part of the resurgence. in closing you never worked for Andretti so you have no room to talk, you never set up indy cars, so you have no room to walk, once you walk a mile in Michael's shoes, then you can talk, sound familiar?

nope, RHR improved, other two drivers are struggling..

Andretti won championship, when Ganassi is trouble with engines (Toyota, 2004 and 2005) and when Penske was struggling (leader Hornish was trying also NASCAR).. RHR has chance, because Power again made many mistakes (Toronto, Iowa, Texas and Baltimore)..
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:02 pm

Palino is right. I think she is going to be in a Penske car at Indy. They are Chevy in Indycar. And it doesn't matter all all that she drives for SHR in Cup. Tony in 2002 raced for Ganassi in the Indy 500 while he was with Gibbs. Kyle Busch ran a Grand AM race for Ganassi in 2009.

Expect Goddady to be on the car too. Which would only help. Penske wanted Danica to stay in Indycar so he could be on her team (he really believes in Danica and felt that she could win a championship). And he was ready to hire her. So this is an opportunity for both parties to come together.

Outside of that if she were only to race for a Chevy team her choices are limited. She won't be at Andretti that is for sure.

And Andretti's resurgence is overrated. Marco Andretti is a back marker this year, James Hinchcliffe started off strong, but he since faded. Only Ryan Hunter Reay has won races. He is the only car that produces week in and week out.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:55 pm

Well talking trash about Andretti does sound like sour grapes. No I dont think anyone is saying they are as good as Penske or Ganassi, but they seem to be above all the other teams, & better than they were a year ago.

I just found it interesting that HMS & Penske have a connection in Indy cars. Which I had no clue about. Wouldnt it be funny if she got a penske ride & was the highest finishing penske car. LOL. I dont know. just something about Will Power I just dont like. Dont have a real reason but it is just something.

I liked the 77 car in the last race I watched. have no idea what team that is.

I think it would be cool if Danica raced for Fisher also, but would Danica have the proper respect for Fisher to make it work? (thinking if they had any issues during the month of may)
I dont know anyone that wouldnt have respect for Penske & what he had to say......well I might know of one hehe.

Hey is AJ's team any good? You know the ties between AJ & tony are tight. Could be an option.
ImageImageImage
Next

Return to Danica